Re: Missing file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. help needed thank you

Question

• hello all,

this is my first post, but read the forums on a daily basis, but i have a problem now, installed whs about 4 months ago and very pleased, its running sweet, well was running sweet. last night i was cleaning out my fish tank and i spilt a bit of water over one of the powerhead plugs for the fish tank, this caused the electrics to trip out throughout the household, this caused the whs server to shut down, and now when i try to reboot it comes up with a error message

Missing file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

is the ntoskrnl file the same as on the windows xp disc.

i tried the normal procedure what i would normally do

copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

but that dont seem to be doing the trick.....where is the windows root on whs if not on c:

its a bit annoying really because as i have said the whs server has been running sweet as a nut right out the box  no issues whatsoever can accsess over the web  can remote my comps  all running nice until i had the trip out with the electrics and now i got this boot problem.

can anyone help me get it to boot up again without having to re-install.... i just dont fancy having to reinstall and set it all up again..Sad

many thanks

kev

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:05 AM

Answers

• 1. Boot into recovery console from Windows XP CD.

2. Rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

3. Copy ntoskrnl.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32 from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

4. Reboot

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:39 AM

All replies

• 1. Boot into recovery console from Windows XP CD.

2. Rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

3. Copy ntoskrnl.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32 from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

4. Reboot

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:39 AM
  •  

Thank you for your speedy reply brubber, unfortunately when trying to boot into the xp recovery console I kept getting a BSOD, tried several times, I then tried to reboot as normal, still missing file error, then giving it one last go I did a reboot but had my finger on the F8 key I think it was, and then came up a option of booting using the last known good configuration, which I used and wow and behold it booted up, and I’m now back to normal.

once again thank you for your help.

kev

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:26 AM
  • Thank you brubber for your speedy reply, i tried to get to the xp console but kept getting a BSOD, so i rebooted serval times and still got the error message <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. , so i tried once more and as the whs booted up i had me finger on the F8 key..this then gave me the option of booting to the last good known configuration...and wow and behold it booted up...all working ok again now.

many thanks for your help

kev

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:25 PM
  • I received mail alert that you solved your problem using last known good config, don not see your reaction overhere though. Seems something is wrong with the forum.

Anyway good thinking! I anticipated from your first post that you were already past this stage.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:32 PM
  • What if I do not have the windows XP cd.  When I purchased my HP tower or my Dell laptop neither one came with a Windows CD

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:44 PM
  •  capt10ed wrote:

What if I do not have the windows XP cd.  When I purchased my HP tower or my Dell laptop neither one came with a Windows CD

1. READ the documentation supplied by the OEM!

2. If that doesn't help ask your OEM

3. Get it from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  

Can anyone help me please?? I have a Toshiba computer that only came with a recovery disk. When I turn on my computer it acts like its loading just fine, then it goes into a black screen with the message <windows root>system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted. I have tried using just the recovery disk, but that isn't working. The recovery disk stops at about 90% and gives me a Toshiba error. If I don't have an actual Windows XP disk can this problem be easily corrected with an expensive computer tech?? I NEED HELP!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:24 AM
  •  

Mikej08,

Exact things happened to me with a toshiba tecra m3...any solution you know of?

Brad

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:26 AM
  • Also check for a missing boot.ini file.

I usually find that sometimes this file gets clobbered.  it is located in c:\boot.ini.  I usualy keep a copy in the root so when I run the recover console you can simply replace it

matt k.

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Same thing with me, except i have a Toshiba Satellite. all i have is the recovery disk that came with the computer but no windows XP full version disk. I have an old 98 to XP upgrade disk but those are the only things i have to work with. Any suggestions?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:56 PM
  • i had the same problem as reespawnk and i tried to do what he said he did, but still it asks for me to re-install the file because it is missing or corrupt
    do you know anything else i can do?
    • Edited by chelsiejoyce Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:11 AM
  • chelsiejoyce said:

i had the same problem as reespawnk and i tried to do what he said he did, but still it asks for me to re-install the file because it is missing or corrupt
    do you know anything else i can do?

Do you have a backup of your PC stored on WHS?  If so, just restore your most recent backup.  If not, then you really need an XP CD to fix it.  Otherwise, you will probably have to use the Recovery CDs that came with your computer.
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:30 AM
  • i dont have a windows xp disc i only have a windows 98 disc [the one that came with my computer]. i dont have my liscence id
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Hello,
    it is a bad idea, to add your own special problems with a different system to old threads.
    It seems, you do not even use Windows Home Server, so you selected the wrong place for your issue.
    If you no not have either the license key or a original CD, you should go and buy one, since you probably use an illegal copy of the operating system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Hi!
    I have a Compaq HP laptop nx9010 and also got the same "<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt" message...

From what I understand, copying ntoskrnl.exe from the XP CD to my System32 should do the trick...?
    However I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to computers so I couldn't understand what exactly I needed to do in order to solve this problem without loosing all my data.

Could someone please help with very detailed and thorough instructions, so I avoid complicating the problem?! I'd really appreciate it! :)

Cheers,
    Maya

Monday, January 05, 2009 11:00 PM