WHS backup database gets corrupted weekly RRS feed

• Question

• For the last two weeks I've noticed that I've gotten the "Backup database corrupted" error after the weekly backup cleanup runs. I've run the chkdsk /r on all of my drives and no errors were found (but with 8TB of space it sure took a long time). All disks are being reported as healthy in the console. No errors show up in the event viewer - not even for the database inconsistency.

That said, I've added and removed computers a few times since getting this MediaSmart server and I'm sure it's possible something is fundamentally hosed up. I'm also pretty sure, though I'm not sure how to confirm, that the amount of space being taken up by backups is getting misreported. That is, I think it's larger than it should be like maybe it's storing backups still for machines that have been removed.

When I run repair on the database it stays green for a week until it runs cleanup again. This is the second week I've woken up on Sunday morning to find the database consistency error.

When is it time to reset the whole backup database and start again? This thread has instructions on how to do that but it's from 2007 and I don't know if they're still valid. Are they? Also, I see there used to be some sort of WHS toolkit that would reset the database but that's been taken down. Is there something different/better?

I'm running database repair right now and am confident it'll turn green again, I'm just thinking "if this happens again next week, then what?"

Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:20 PM

Answers

• I'm also, again, pretty sure that the amount of space being reported for backups is too large. Reading through the way backups are stored from the white paper and knowing how few changes I've made in the last month to my computers, I see that the space taken for backups is like 225GB but I only have four computers backed up and each of them only has about 30GB of data on them (three are vanilla installs of Windows 7 Home Premium). That 225GB may be correct, it just feels... fishy.
    In that case, you might have to delete the entire backup database and start over.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:20 AM

All replies

• What patch level of Windows Home Server are you running? Power Pack 1, 2, 3? You can find out the build numbers in the console, Settings button, resources view.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Running PP3. Versions all seem to be 6.0.2423.0.

I've gone into Microsoft Update via Terminal Services and the only updates available for me are Powershell and the Terminal Services 6 client, neither of which sound like they'd help here, so I'm fully up to date as far as I can tell.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Not sure if it matters, but it's an HP MediaSmart EX475. I have 8TB total storage - 3 x 1TB + 1 x 500GB (system drive) in the server, 3 x 1TB + 1 x 2TB in an eSATA port replicator.

The only errors I see in the Event Viewer are, about once a week (not tied to the backup cleanup operation), WNAS.SYS reports "VRM temperature becomes too high, value = 96 degrees C." Immediately after that (less than one second) it says the temperature has returned to under 95C. However, looking at the Windows Home Server console under hardware status, all temperatures are around the 35C mark and everything's green. This started about a month ago when I added a 2TB drive to my storage pool. I thought the drive was bad, so I exchanged it for a whole different make/model and while the exchange was taking place I didn't see these errors. Getting the new drive - WNAS.SYS errors again. I've run chkdsk /r and WD extended diagnostics on all the drives and they all check out fine.

Since I was replacing a 500GB drive with a 2TB drive, I know the drive bay works fine and looking at the Disk Management add-in all drive temps always hover around 35C. As such, I'm guessing there's some sort of defect in WNAS.SYS with my drive configuration so I've ignored that error. I've read in other forums that people have seen similar weird/potentially incorrect temperature reporting from that module as well. It seems that I've exceeded some storage size value or hit some sort of exact configuration that WNAS.SYS doesn't like. I feel pretty sure that this doesn't have anything to do with the backup database corruption since, again, the timing on when the backup database says it's corrupted and when these errors appear in the event viewer don't seem to line up at all (days apart, not consistent, etc.). But, in the interest of being complete, I mention it here.
    • Edited by Travis Illig Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:21 PM Clarified diagnostics I've run.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Backup database repair completed and everything is green once again. Glancing through, I didn't even lose any backups, which is cool. That said, I'm still curious if something's hosed up and if I should reset the whole thing.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Have you tried running chkdsk on all your drives yet?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Yes. As mentioned in the original post, I've both run chkdsk (as outlined in that other thread) and I've run extended WD disk diagnostics. Neither one came up with any errors, hence my thoughts that there's something more software-related going on.

I re-ran the database cleanup function manually just to see if doing that would cause the database inconsistency to reappear and it didn't - running cleanup was uneventful and succeeded without re-introducing the database inconsistency. Of course, since cleanup had run already earlier, there were no backups to remove or anything, so it leads me to believe that if cleanup is responsible, it's happening only when there's data to purge... which, again, makes me think "software issue."
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Running PP3. Versions all seem to be 6.0.2423.0.

I've gone into Microsoft Update via Terminal Services and the only updates available for me are Powershell and the Terminal Services 6 client, neither of which sound like they'd help here, so I'm fully up to date as far as I can tell.
    Have you installed any Software, Optional updates (which is not supported)?  I see 5 Software, Optional on my server.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:03 AM
  • I have two optional items listed right now - Powershell and the Terminal Services 6.0 something-or-other. I had, IIRC, a network driver update at one point that I did install. I definitely didn't install anything like Windows Search or any of the Windows Live stuff, though they never showed up in the list of optional items that I remember, either. The only optional stuff I'll have installed would be driver related... but it's been a couple of years since I've had the server running, so I don't remember item-for-item exactly what I did allow through. I definitely haven't installed anything in the last couple of weeks when this problem started.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:07 PM
  • I'm also, again, pretty sure that the amount of space being reported for backups is too large. Reading through the way backups are stored from the white paper and knowing how few changes I've made in the last month to my computers, I see that the space taken for backups is like 225GB but I only have four computers backed up and each of them only has about 30GB of data on them (three are vanilla installs of Windows 7 Home Premium). That 225GB may be correct, it just feels... fishy.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:25 PM
    In that case, you might have to delete the entire backup database and start over.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:20 AM
  • Well, poo. I kinda figured, though. Just to verify, are the instructions from this thread still valid?

Here they are again, copy/pasted below:

(NOTE: you will lose all backups)
    1) Exit then uninstall the connector sw on the client(s)
    2) RDP to the desktop and run the Windows Home Server Console
    3) In the computers and backups section, remove the client(s) (this will claim to delete the backups but it wont)
    4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    5) Manually delete all files
    6) Reboot WHS
    7) Log back into the WHS Console and select Settings - Backups then run "Cleanup Now" (this will reset the error)
    8) Navigate to \\YOURSERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software
    9) Run setup.exe to reinstall the connector software
    10) From the connector console select Configure Backup for each client installed.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Yes, except that you shouldn't have to reinstall the connector software. Just run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe on each client.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:59 PM