Live Meeting 2007 Web Console & Office Communication Server 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm looking for a solution to allow people outside my company to participate in Live meeting sessions without the need to install the Live Meeting 2007 Client.
    I understand in the past there was a Live meeting 2005 web console, and I even saw some articles in the internet talking about Live meeting 2007 Web Console (http://www.btconferencing.com/btc/infocentre/guides/web/msolm/webaccess/?sel=gSched&sec=gWeb).

But I couldn't figured out if it's possible to set it up together with Office Communication Server 2007 R2, and if it can be used to allow people not from my organization to participate in those kind of meeting only with installation of Java/ActiveX.

Best Regards,
    Ploni.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:20 PM

Answers

• Ploni,

Unfortunately, at this time OCS 2007 R2 does not provide access to Live Meetings without installing the Live Meeting client. The web access is only available for the Microsoft hosted version of Live Meeting. I know this is a pain point for many people, so hopefully MS will remedy this in the next version, OCS 2010.

It might be worthwhile to know that Live Meeting can be installed without local Admin rights.

User mode installation. Unlike previous versions of the Microsoft Office Live Meeting client, there is now a user mode installation capability that allows users who do not have administrator permissions on a computer to install the meeting client. The LMSetup.exe application installs the meeting client according to the users permissions on the computer. If the user does not have administrator permissions, he or she is able to install the meeting client and participate in meetings with some limitations.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb663610.aspx

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn
    • Marked as answer by Ploni Almony Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:13 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:29 PM

All replies

• Ploni,

Unfortunately, at this time OCS 2007 R2 does not provide access to Live Meetings without installing the Live Meeting client. The web access is only available for the Microsoft hosted version of Live Meeting. I know this is a pain point for many people, so hopefully MS will remedy this in the next version, OCS 2010.

It might be worthwhile to know that Live Meeting can be installed without local Admin rights.

User mode installation. Unlike previous versions of the Microsoft Office Live Meeting client, there is now a user mode installation capability that allows users who do not have administrator permissions on a computer to install the meeting client. The LMSetup.exe application installs the meeting client according to the users permissions on the computer. If the user does not have administrator permissions, he or she is able to install the meeting client and participate in meetings with some limitations.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb663610.aspx

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn
    • Marked as answer by Ploni Almony Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:13 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Jamie,

This is indeed a major pain point - we are at the early stages of our OCS 2007 R2 deployment and Live Meeting is a key component. These restrictions mean that Mac users, who make up a considerable percentage of our client base, cannot participate in Live Meeting. The same would be true for Linux users. Similalry we have many users who would be using a PC where they would be unable to install the Live Meeting client.

Unless there is a way around this, this could stop our OCS deployment dead.

Geoff Bouch, University of Plymouth
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Jamie, Geoff,

A potential way around this could be to use the IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.2 Product, it's a highly scalable instant messaging and web conferencing solution from IBM. It natively runs in a browser, and supports IE, Firefox, Safari on Windows, Mac and Linux workstations.
    Sametime can host web meetings with hundreds or even thousands of participants, it supports Audio and video, application Sharing, Whiteboarding, presentations, Polls and more.

More information on Lotus Sametime can be found here: http://is.gd/15Zh9

Friday, June 19, 2009 6:11 AM