QOE Server Deativation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am having issues with deactivating the QOE role once the QOE server is unavailable? I recently added a QOE server, however 2 days later the server died. I now cannot deactivate the role. I have tried all the options on the command line deactivation. If I specify the domain and GC I get  the following:  Failure [0x800706BA] The RPC server is unavailable.

It also appears to have effected the performance of the Mediation server as if the MS is looking to report to the missing QOE server?

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Rob

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

I'd consider filing a support incident with Microsoft and get CSS to weigh in. But when I was over there as a SDET, I used to run through these "dead server" scenarios with a few server roles, and was able to recover by deleting the (dead) machine account using dsa.msc, bringing up another server with the same name in the domain, installing it and then activating it using the existing service account/password. I didn't worry about deactivation..

So if your plan is to replace the dead QoE server with a new one, you might consider trying that. Otherwise if you don't plan to replace the QoE server in your topology, you could bring up a new member server in the domain with the same name as above, install QoE bits, activate the server, deactivate it and then uninstall it from 'Add/Remove Programs.. (the approved method to decommission a server for repurposing)

May not be applicable in your topology, but as a best practice, you might also wait for AD to replicate beween the activation and deactivation steps, especially if your domain has multiple domain controllers.

Stu Osborn

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

I'd consider filing a support incident with Microsoft and get CSS to weigh in. But when I was over there as a SDET, I used to run through these "dead server" scenarios with a few server roles, and was able to recover by deleting the (dead) machine account using dsa.msc, bringing up another server with the same name in the domain, installing it and then activating it using the existing service account/password. I didn't worry about deactivation..

So if your plan is to replace the dead QoE server with a new one, you might consider trying that. Otherwise if you don't plan to replace the QoE server in your topology, you could bring up a new member server in the domain with the same name as above, install QoE bits, activate the server, deactivate it and then uninstall it from 'Add/Remove Programs.. (the approved method to decommission a server for repurposing)

May not be applicable in your topology, but as a best practice, you might also wait for AD to replicate beween the activation and deactivation steps, especially if your domain has multiple domain controllers.

Stu Osborn

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Hi Stu,

Your absolutely right. I tried this yesterday by chance and it worked. I just deleted the original computer account and then added a new server in, installed the role and reran the deactivate command. Worked a treat! I've also had this problem with offline mediation as well so I guess the same work around will work for most of these roles. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:15 AM