Live Messenger causing Video Problem - XP

• Sorry, I wanted a Live messenger Forum, but my only choice for "Windows Live" was the live writer. This isn't a live writer question.

I have an XP machine with all the updates. I've run into a problem I have no solution, nor have I encountered anyone that even mentioned this. What happens is, when I double click "Live messenger", my monitor goes blank (black screen) for about 5 seconds, then when the video re-appears, the color quality is horrible. I almost can't make anything out. A moment later the sign in window appears to log into messenger. Even though the video is horrible I sign in and I can chat (horrible color quality). I  inadvertantly discovered  that if I right click to a blank area on my desktop, and then click properties A windows opens (display Properties), and if I click on the "Settings" tab, I can see that my "color quality" has changed to "low (8 bits)". I then go to the dropdown box, reselect "Highest (32bits)" and click ok. Everything goes back to normal.  I then can continue my chat with whomever I'm chatting with. However if I receive a link from my chat friend (for example a You-tube link), and click on it, my monitor goes blank, about 5 sec later the video reappears and I'm back at the "Low (8bits)" color quality. Not only that but it will cycle. 20-30 sec later, screen goes blank, upon reappear color quality is back at 32 bits. Then 20-30 sec later, screen goes blank, and back to low 8 bit.  All of this happens when I have the Live messenger program running.  If I just engage in chat (typed words), as long as I performed that first "going to properties to change the color quality back to 32 bits". then I don't have the "additional" cycling aspect. However if I go to the menu on the Main messenger box, a select an option, the color quality situation re-appears.  With the bad color quality, when I close and exit messenger, the screen goes blank, and when it reappears I'm back at the normal 32 bit color quality as if nothing has happened.  This only happens when I run Live messenger.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Live messenger to no avail. Same problem.   I  looked at several forum questions and answers and when I try something that might help, it doesn't. I am at a lost as to what to do.

The worst part of all this is, that I was initially trying to solve a problem as to why I was unable to have a video chat with my friend. We have done many video chats in the past. But as of a few month ago haven't. When in a chat with my friend, it no longer show I have a webcam, when I do (is checked), and  the menu at top has "Video", and "Photos" grayed out (I have all the proper option selected).  In trying to understand this, my friend initiated a video call, and was able to see and hear me. I could hear her, but could not see her.  I couldn't initiate a call from my end.  I kept getting a msg indicating that "Her" set up was not compatible with mine. She uses a laptop with Windows 7 and has, I guess, the 2011 version of Live messenger. Because I have "XP", my version of Live messenger is  Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8117.416).

Can anyone help me with this problem?  It has bothered me so much that I don't want to use messenger anymore. Is there a way I can "Lock" the color quality, so it won't change? Finally, why can't I  have video chats anymore?  I know I wrote a lot, but it did say to be as detailed as possible.  Finally I'll include info on my machine, set-up.  I would truly appreciate a solution to this madness. Thanks!

Systemax Venture H356 Desktop,Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or 3 - it is latest, mini-Tower mATX Chassis, 500 Watt Power Supply,
    ASUS P5GZ-MX 945GZ mATX Motherboard, CPO PD 940 3.2 4M 800 BXED W/HS (Intel Pentium D processor 940),
    1GB PC4200 533MHz DDR2 Memory (1GB x 1),  Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 3G SATAII Hard Drive, Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM “My Book” external HD
    2 x  (20X DVDRW Dual Layer Drive) Lite-on, 3.5" 1.44 MB Black Floppy Drive, 9-in-1 USB Card Reader,
    56K V.92 PCI Data/Fax Modem, 3-Port Firewire Card, Logitech Value 100 Keyboard PS/2, Logitech Black Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2
    Lexmark  Model X8350 All in One Printer, Logitech Z-2300 THX Speaker System, Logitech Pro 9000 webcam

Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:49 PM