Remote Access and user experience RRS feed

• Question

• My daytime job is a sharePoint 2010 dude, and I have gotten used to the way that Windows 7 and Office 2010 allow seamless integration with SharePoint document Libraries.

At home Ive been a WHS user and some of the kids are at a stage where they will be moving away from the house for a few days at a time (taking existing PC).  They currenty have a share on WHS and can access it from any PC when they login. Ive configured remote access on WHS and am pleased with its offerings for myself, but getting the kids to continue to use the shares when away looks to be a little bit long winded (IMHO).  Ive tried taking the url and pasting it into the UNC path in Explorer, but it does not resolve it even when I mess around with the forward and back slashes etc.

With SharePoint 2010 and windows 7/Office 2010 a Document Library can be mapped into Explorer and then accessed jsut as if it were any other file store (ie no upload etc)

Is this something that I can resolve easily or should I just move their files to one of my SharePoint 2010 servers in the cloud and they can map to it as they need to ?

Thanks

Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:43 PM

All replies

• The LogMeIn Hamachi VPN can provide UNC path access to home server shares. It's free for non-commercial use.

[]Loren

Monday, February 7, 2011 8:34 PM