none
Cannot connect to WHS connector software or folders, but ping works RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a stange problem.
    My WHS has been working fine for about a year, and recently I can no longer connect to the Connector Software or via the folder paths in Windows.

Running "cmd" I can ping the IP Address and get a response. Furthermore uTorrent WebUI logs in fine, AND I can play media via Windows Media Player as the server is sharing music and videos.

But if I directly try to look into the folder shares via a remote PC, or load the connector, or try Remote Desktop Connection I cannot access anything.
    The error on RDC is roughly: 'cannot connect as there is another console session active' (but this is after fresh reboots of both client and server).
    The error on the WHS connector is 'cannot connect, check the server is powered on' (it is definitely on, and logged in as I can ping/access uTorrent WebUI and play media files).
    The error when accessing files from the "Shared Folders" shortcut (placed on the desktop after successful WHS connector installation) is basically that the password is wrong (login askes for password, but justs re-asks when entered the correct password). I *know* the password is not wrong, as its a generic one, that has not changed in a year.
    *edit* I just tried s shortcut on the desktop to the IP address and I can access the Shared Files now.

This happens on 2 or 3 PCs running XP SP3, Vista x64, Win 7 x64 (7000) and Win 7 x86 (7077).

I stumped, so any ideas welcome and gratefuly received.  

Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:34 PM

Answers

My WHS has been working fine for about a year, and recently I can no longer connect to the Connector Software or via the folder paths in Windows.

Running "cmd" I can ping the IP Address and get a response. Furthermore uTorrent WebUI logs in fine, AND I can play media via Windows Media Player as the server is sharing music and videos.

But if I directly try to look into the folder shares via a remote PC, or load the connector, or try Remote Desktop Connection I cannot access anything.
    The error on RDC is roughly: 'cannot connect as there is another console session active' (but this is after fresh reboots of both client and server).
    The error on the WHS connector is 'cannot connect, check the server is powered on' (it is definitely on, and logged in as I can ping/access uTorrent WebUI and play media files).
    The error when accessing files from the "Shared Folders" shortcut (placed on the desktop after successful WHS connector installation) is basically that the password is wrong (login askes for password, but justs re-asks when entered the correct password). I *know* the password is not wrong, as its a generic one, that has not changed in a year.
    *edit* I just tried s shortcut on the desktop to the IP address and I can access the Shared Files now.

This happens on 2 or 3 PCs running XP SP3, Vista x64, Win 7 x64 (7000) and Win 7 x86 (7077).

Are you able to ping, both by name and by IP address?  Can you logon to the server desktop (either through RDC or by connecting a keyboard, mouse and monitor)?  If so, can you run ipconfig /all on your server and post it here (along with one of your client PCs)?  What is the exact error message you get when you try to access the shares from a client PC?
    • Marked as answer by foaf Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:21 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

Are you able to ping, both by name and by IP address?  Can you logon to the server desktop (either through RDC or by connecting a keyboard, mouse and monitor)?  If so, can you run ipconfig /all on your server and post it here (along with one of your client PCs)?  What is the exact error message you get when you try to access the shares from a client PC?
    • Marked as answer by foaf Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:21 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:42 PM
  • kariya, I think you might have just found my problem. I can ping by IP, and I just tried "ping server". The reponse is that 'host unreachable' but I can immediately see that it's looking at the wrong IP address.

I've set the static IP to end in '.66'. But when pinging 'server' its looking for '.64'. So a stupid question maybe, but how do I make 'server' resolve to the '.66' IP?

I guess I could just as easily change the static IP to '.64', it's just I need to attach a monitor and keyboard, which will have to wait.

Thanks so much, I feel like this will work :)
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:10 PM
  • kariya, I think you might have just found my problem. I can ping by IP, and I just tried "ping server". The reponse is that 'host unreachable' but I can immediately see that it's looking at the wrong IP address.

I've set the static IP to end in '.66'. But when pinging 'server' its looking for '.64'. So a stupid question maybe, but how do I make 'server' resolve to the '.66' IP?

I guess I could just as easily change the static IP to '.64', it's just I need to attach a monitor and keyboard, which will have to wait.

Thanks so much, I feel like this will work :)
    Have you ever modified the the HOSTS file on that client (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) to point to the server?  If so, you should remove that entry.  If not, you probably need to flush your DNS.  From a command prompt type:

ipconfig /flushdns
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Thanks kariya. I looked at "hosts" in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    There is no line relating to any IP on my network, do I add "192.168.1.66    server"
    When I came to save it gave the error "cannot create the .... file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct". But I'm just saving after opening in Notepad.

I tried the flushdns, it said it was successful. But WHS connector still didn't work. Maybe it needs a reboot though.
    Thanks for looking into this.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Are you able to ping, both by name and by IP address? 
    Just to finalise, the answer was the DNS of 'server' was pointing to the wrong IP address. Running CMD and "ipconfig /flushdns" and reinstalling the Connector Software sorted the problem. Thanks to Kariya for the attention.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:24 AM