none
Need restorecd.iso for Windows Home Server (original version) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer (a church) who is using a Windows Home Server to backup their church office desktop computers to(original version of Windows Home Server, circa 2004, with Service Pack 2 installed). They would like to restore one of their computers, but when I looked in the subdirectory where I expected to find a restoreCD.iso, this message was there:

How to Create a Home Computer Restore CD:
    If there is a CD image file (RestoreCD.iso) in this folder, it is outdated.

To create a Home Computer Restore CD, download the ISO image file (RestoreCD.iso) from the Microsoft Web site at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=104683. Then you must write the file to a blank CD. You cannot use Windows Explorer to write the ISO image to the CD. Instead, you need a CD/DVD burner. Most CD/DVD burners include software that you can use to write the ISO image to a CD. Follow the instructions for your burner software, and select the option to write the ISO image rather than individual files.

The linkID to 104683 no longer works.  Is there any way to get a restoreCD.iso that will still work with this version of Windows Home Server?

I've searched the forum and Microsoft tech pages, but only find references to a WHS 2011 Restore CD, and I assume that won't work with the original version of Windows Home Server. 

Thanks!

Mike

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:10 PM

All replies

• Although I no longer use the original WHS I still have the file (restorecdpp3.msi - 232MB) which creates the ISO file (477MB) and a readme inside a folder within Documents.  Note the file has pp3 in the name - indicating Power Pack 3 - too long has gone by to remember if SP2 correlates to PP3.  Maybe you can search for the file name online.  Anyway, if you're really stuck, suggest a way to xfer the file to you.

Don

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:32 PM
  • SP2 has nothing to do with the WHS version, since Windows Home Server was simply based on Windows Server 2008 SP2. The true WHS version you can see in the Windows Home Server Console under Settings/Ressources.

You can also use a second WHS client and follow the guideline in the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 2, 2016 12:20 PM
  • do you still have the restorecdpp3.msi file?
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:40 AM