Suggestion for add in RRS feed

• Question

• How about some way to add in Windows Media Services streaming of folders/files, since it's included in Windows, as an embedded link or add in to your livenode connection?  People could then easily have their playlists not just in their network, but anywhere they have a connection, and still have the WHS taking care of their duplication and such.

p.s.  Apologies if this has already been suggested; while I did do a cursory search, I didn't truly look in-depth, and didn't find anything.

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:31 AM

Answers

• It has been suggested before (try a search for "internet media streaming"). I know some folks have had luck with Orb or other similar tools.

But I'll be honest. I would prefer not to see media streaming from WHS to an arbitrary machine on the Internet. That's a pretty good way to annoy your ISP, and while I don't use the Remote Access feature much, I can definitely see where others would have a lot more need for it. Lots of people chewing up lots of bandwidth has a high probability of getting more ISPs to ban servers and block ports, which would be a bad thing overall.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:11 PM
  • that is very true Ken. I wish it wasnt lol. But to the OP i just downloaded WebGuide4 and it works great for streaming. Just make sure you dont have all your users doing it at the same time and you probably should be fine =)
    Friday, July 20, 2007 8:32 PM

All replies

• It has been suggested before (try a search for "internet media streaming"). I know some folks have had luck with Orb or other similar tools.

But I'll be honest. I would prefer not to see media streaming from WHS to an arbitrary machine on the Internet. That's a pretty good way to annoy your ISP, and while I don't use the Remote Access feature much, I can definitely see where others would have a lot more need for it. Lots of people chewing up lots of bandwidth has a high probability of getting more ISPs to ban servers and block ports, which would be a bad thing overall.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:11 PM
  • that is very true Ken. I wish it wasnt lol. But to the OP i just downloaded WebGuide4 and it works great for streaming. Just make sure you dont have all your users doing it at the same time and you probably should be fine =)
    Friday, July 20, 2007 8:32 PM