none
Editor makes fonts small in Chrome when using delete key. RRS feed

• Question

• Forum Bug REPRO STEPS for Chrome 24.0.1312.52 (Official Build 175374) m  on Windows 7

1. Compose a post.
    2. Press 'A' key (Type an A)
    3. Press ENTER
    4. Press 'B' key (Type a B)
    5. Press UP ARROW  (Navigate cursor to the end of the line with the 'A')
    6. Press Delete key

The B becomes a smaller font.

E.g.:

AB

With more text, complete lines get altered this way:

This is the first line.This is the second line.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• More info:  the smaller lines get the following markup:  <span style="font-size:0.75em;line-height:1.5;">

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:22 PM
  • AB

I can replicate this problem after I upgraded Google Chrome to the most recent version.

BTW, the recent version of jquery (jquery 1.9) is not compatible with flexigrid I am trying to use in my project.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Also, you don't actually have to "submit" to see the result.  The effects are visible in your browser immediately after pressing the delete key, no need to click "submit" on a test post when trying this yourself.  You can just cancel.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:43 PM
  • And most annoying, impossible to correct beside inside the html code and that is more for those who reply on one message a month. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Wyck,

Thank you for posting this thread, I have been meaning to say something too, and I agree with Cor, this is most annoying!

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

• Edited by Paul Ishak Friday, January 18, 2013 8:03 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 8:03 PM
  • I submitted this as a bug request.

Fantastic write-up with repro steps! Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:49 AM
    Owner
  • This is now a known issue for the Forums team. Thanks again!

They logged Task #1134226 to complete this work. No ETA.

Thanks! 

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:32 PM
    Owner
  • FYI, this is still occurring today, even after the new forum style changes.

This is a big annoyance for me (and presumably others.)

I realize there's no ETA, but I'd like to rattle the cage a little to see what the status is.  Any word?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:16 PM
  • I also noticed this problem recently.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:20 AM

I realize there's no ETA, but I'd like to rattle the cage a little to see what the status is.  Any word?

I agree that, it's an annoying problem.

However, there's a workaround which I use often.

E.g. 

Now, select the above text and copy (Ctrl + c); then while selection is on, press Shift + Ctrl+ v

Output would be normal text as you can see below.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:54 AM

I agree that, it's an annoying problem.

E.g. 

Now, select the above text and copy (Ctrl + c); then while selection is on, press Shift + Ctrl+ v

Output would be normal text as you can see below.

Regards,Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Yes, I use that too.  (Although I disbelieve that you constructed that bold text by using Ctrl + Shift + V.  You probably reapplied a bold setting manually for the purposes of illustration.)

Ctrl + Shift + V will remove any formatting, including lists, and any hyperlinks, so it is not an acceptable workaround for me (because it doesn't work around in all cases.)

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:47 PM
  •  (Although I disbelieve that you constructed that bold text by using Ctrl + Shift + V.  You probably reapplied a bold setting manually for the purposes of illustration.)

You are correct.

Ctrl + Shift + V will remove any formatting, including lists, and any hyperlinks, so it is not an acceptable workaround for me (because it doesn't work around in all cases.)

I agree with you. However, till this issue is fixed, we need to adjust with the work around.

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:21 PM
  • This is now a known issue for the Forums team. Thanks again!

They logged Task #1134226 to complete this work. No ETA.

Thanks! 

Hey, Ed!

Any way you can figure out what the status of #1134226 is?

It has been half a year now, and this bug is really killing me.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Another quarter goes by.  And this is still broken.  :(

It's extremely annoying and the workaround is unacceptable because it trashes formatting markup, including code examples and hyperlinks.

This bug is crippling!  I'd like to escalate the severity of this issue.

Can you please ping whoever you need to ping to find out why this isn't getting resolved?

Do I need to stop fixing all the times the editor trashes my text in public protest of this bug?

Because this is what my posts will look like.  :(

Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:08 PM
  • We are just days away from Q2 2014. and this is still not fixed.

Please hear me!  I am constantly forced to apply an annoying workaround (manually editing HTML).  It's so severe that it has actually made me avoid using the delete key normally in other programs because I've been conditioned to avoid doing normal editing because of this bug in the the MSDN forums.  I find myself using other programs like Microsoft Word, wanting to hit the delete key at the end of a line thinking "I can't do that, it will make all my fonts small!"  I have a sort of post traumatic stress disorder now from working around this bug.

Here's a reminder that this still happens.  <-- SEE???

Please, please, pretty please, fix this bug.

I've now been waiting for more than A YEAR for traction on this issue.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:00 PM
  • I also often experience the same problem. My workaround is to delete that extra new text and start over.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Q4 2014 is here and the bug is still not fixed.

Here's my list of related issues:

Typing CTRL+B BOLD CTRL+B ENTER causes a problem.

BOLD

See that the D is not bold?

Typing bold CTRL+B makes the last letter bold.  This is wrong (Compare to microsoft word for example ... or any other editor in the world!)

bold

Typing text when the last character of the above line is bold causes the next to be bold.

Also you can't disable this by pressing CTRL+B at the beginning of the unbold line.

Actually you are now bold forever unless you copy and paste something with CTRL+SHIFT+V.  Like this.  Like this.

Whew! You may try to fix things by pressing the delete key at the end of a line.  Don't do it.  Your fonts will become small.

Also If you try to use a bulleted or ordered list after a code block, you get problems.

HereIsMyCodeBlock();
    1. And now here is my ordered list.

With a break here

• And you'll have to try this to believe it.
    Test;

Now if I start a bulleted list here...  The whole post will become bulleted.  I'm not going to do it because it will trash the rest of my demonstration.

Also, good luck deleting the initial space at the beginning of a blockquote.  You can't do it without making your fonts small or by editing the HTML directly.

hello

And if you delete the final space after  a block quote, you can't create normal text again.

Need I go on? I am trapped here forever.  What's the magic word for getting out of this situation?  There isn't one except manually editing the HTML to add some stuff after the blockquote.

So twice a year I take it upon myself to remind you how frustrating all these bugs in your editor are and I am really bothered that it isn't getting fixed.

I spend lots of my time answering questions, identifying spam, directing people to the correct forums and generally trying to make this site useful and valuable, even by locating defects and shortcomings in the forum software itself.  But I feel awfully unappreciated each time I am forced to work around one of these bugs.

Please.

Fix.

It.

For

Goodness sake.  *sigh*

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:27 PM
    • Q4 2014 is here and the bug is still not fixed.
    • Here's my list of related issues:
    • Typing CTRL+B BOLD CTRL+B ENTER causes a problem.
    • BOLD
    • See that the D is not bold?
    • Typing bold CTRL+B makes the last letter bold.  This is wrong (Compare to microsoft word for example ... or any other editor in the world!)
    • bold
    • Typing text when the last character of the above line is bold causes the next to be bold.
    • Also you can't disable this by pressing CTRL+B at the beginning of the unbold line.
    • Actually you are now bold forever unless you copy and paste something with CTRL+SHIFT+V.  Like this.  Like this.
    • Whew! You may try to fix things by pressing the delete key at the end of a line.  Don't do it.  Your fonts will become small.
    • Also If you try to use a bulleted or ordered list after a code block, you get problems.
    • HereIsMyCodeBlock();
    • And now here is my ordered list.
    • With a break here
    • And you'll have to try this to believe it.
    • Test

POOF!  See?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:28 PM
  • And let's not forget ever elusive "Unexpected Error" when trying to post and/or vote as helpful as I just saw.

Edited to add: Wyck, you marked Ed's reply as an answer.  IMO it is time to unmark it.  There has been zero fixes and zero feedback.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Is once a year too frequently for me to nag you for this to be fixed?

I have unmarked the answer based on Kamin of Ressik's feedback.

The bug still exists.

This is the single most annoying bug in the forums software.  Please fix it.

Because it still happens.  :(

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:09 AM
  • Wyck - might be worth sending an email in to fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com with a link to this thread to try and get it back on their radar. There have been some pretty big shifts in the forums team (as far as I can tell at least) since 2013, so maybe the current folks aren't aware of this.

Just a thought.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Wyck - might be worth sending an email in to fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com with a link to this thread to try and get it back on their radar. There have been some pretty big shifts in the forums team (as far as I can tell at least) since 2013, so maybe the current folks aren't aware of this.

Just a thought.

Email sent.  Thanks, Mike.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Email sent.  Thanks, Mike.

Cheers. Hopefully this gets fixed before another two years goes by. =]

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:55 PM
  • I am composing a post

B

Lol the problem still exists

Friday, December 9, 2016 4:48 PM
  • I am wondering if this is forum's problem or Google Chrome problem. I think I've seen it in other places too.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Saturday, December 10, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Latest update from Microsoft:

We got the update from engineering team, stating that “ issue cannot be fixed as editor is controlled by 3rd party software telerik.“

This is infuriating to me as a response.  I really hate passing the buck.  First rule of responsibility: everything is your fault.

That response sure makes me feel like somehow this is my problem to resolve now.  Why can't someone at Microsoft take responsibility for ensuring that this issue gets resolved -- even if that just amounts to filing an issue with Telerik?

Also, clearly Telerik isn't 100% to blame as this editor, by Telerik, doesn't exhibit the problem.  But now that we seem to understand whose fault the problem is, what do we have to do to make sure it gets fixed?

What can I do to help get this issue resolved? I've been painfully working around this issue for more than 4 years.  And the problem still exists.

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:41 AM