Strange ip contact from Winss.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am running Windows Live OneCare under Windows XP and I have this very commun log under TCPView for Windows (Sysinternals) :

winss.exe:1236    TCP    mymachine:4986    85-168-2-xxx.rev.numericable.fr:63331    SYN_SENT
    winss.exe:1236    TCP    myinternalipaddress:4991    85.168.2.xxx:63331    SYN_SENT

Why winss.exe connects or responds to this ip address ?

As far as I know this ip address pertains to a very common Internet Cable TV provider.

Does this means that one of its clients machines is pounding my firewall ?

Thanks in advance for your explanations and answers.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:43 PM

Answers

• Actually, that IP address belongs to this provider:

http://www.numericable.fr/home.php

The port number you see indicates that the OneCare Circle functionality is attempting to reach a machine it your OneCare Circle that it believes last communicated with the servers (and your PC) from that IP address. Those entries indicate that winss initiated the outbound request and is listening for a response.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• Actually, that IP address belongs to this provider:

http://www.numericable.fr/home.php

The port number you see indicates that the OneCare Circle functionality is attempting to reach a machine it your OneCare Circle that it believes last communicated with the servers (and your PC) from that IP address. Those entries indicate that winss initiated the outbound request and is listening for a response.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Many thanks for the explanation.

It is actually one of the 3 machines address
    that I added to my OneCare Circle. A laptop that I use from time to time and that I connected some time ago during a visit at a friend's house network.

I couldn't remembered it...

Thanks again.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Glad to have helped. Of course, the stupidity is that OneCare will continue to poll that IP address for a very long time and will log it in the Event Logs - quite annoying to some people. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:11 PM