WinPE 5.x Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Looking over my issue to deploy on Gen12 hardware. Is there any plan to start using WinPE 10.x in the deployment process?

Is there a way to upgrade the WinPE 5.x deployment to WinPE 10.x?

Monday, January 27, 2020 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

I remember you had tried to use Ctrl+C to break the execution of our ExcutionClient.exe, and manually type command line to copy the wim file, it cannot download either. Maybe you are right, the WinPE 5.x has issue with your NIC. Though we don't have plan to upgrade WinPE, you can replace the WinPE by yourself and have a try.

You can download and install Windows ADK and Windows PE add-on from below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install

And then you shall be able to find the file 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim

Copy this file to somewhere and rename to boot.wim, and refer to the below document to add WinPE-WDS-Tools package to the boot.wim.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-add-packages--optional-components-reference

The 3 command lines shall be as below:

dism /mount-image /imagefile:C:\winpe\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:\winpe\mount
    dism /image:C:\winpe\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-WDS-Tools.cab" 
    dism /unmount-image /mountdir:C:\winpe\mount /commit

If you want to modify your current cluster:

1. Replace the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2016\Data\Boot\x64\boot.wim

2. Go to cluster manager -> Configure your network, first configure your network to another topology (for example topology 5), and then re-configure it back to your current topology.

If you decide to re-install the head node or install a new head node:

1. Replace the file <installationpacakge>\amd64\BootImage\boot.wim

2. Run setup.exe to install the head node.

Good luck!

• Edited by Sunbin Zhu Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Parr Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:12 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

We use WinPE 5.x because our head node can be run on Windows Server 2012 R2. Currently we have no plan to upgrade to WinPE 10.x.

What is the compute node OS version you want to deploy? You can find Gen12 network interface drivers for both Windows Server 2012 R2 and your target compute node OS, and inject both drivers in Cluster Manager -> Configuration -> Images -> Manage Drivers(WIM Images).  The drivers will be auto injected to Windows PE when it starts, suppose Windows PE can use the correct NIC driver (i.e. the driver for Windows Server 2012 R2).

One of our customer once met a similar issue with HP Gen10, in that case, the issue is even worse, WinPE cannot initialize NIC at all, they fixed the issue by injecting NIC driver for the WinPE as well as for the target compute node OS. You can have a try.

Thursday, February 6, 2020 1:23 PM
  • Thank you for the Reply Sunbin,

At this point I have used every driver possible from the vendor. No matter what combination I use the install WIM file never copies. I get stuck at task 4 of the standard node template.

Posting for other inputs:

1) boot.wim file downloads without issues

2) Initializing Network Interface successful

3) Contacting CommandServer on HeadNode Successful

4) connection to HeadNode install share successful

5) Download of diskpart.txt and partition creation is successful

6) Download of install wim (Fails) 

I have used Dell Win PE 5.x Broadcom drivers, Windows 2016 and 2012 R2 Broadcom drivers. Network team does not see any errors on switch. Happens with every compute node in environment. Even replaced NIC on Head Node.

Monday, February 10, 2020 3:59 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I remember you had tried to use Ctrl+C to break the execution of our ExcutionClient.exe, and manually type command line to copy the wim file, it cannot download either. Maybe you are right, the WinPE 5.x has issue with your NIC. Though we don't have plan to upgrade WinPE, you can replace the WinPE by yourself and have a try.

You can download and install Windows ADK and Windows PE add-on from below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install

And then you shall be able to find the file 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim

Copy this file to somewhere and rename to boot.wim, and refer to the below document to add WinPE-WDS-Tools package to the boot.wim.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-add-packages--optional-components-reference

The 3 command lines shall be as below:

dism /mount-image /imagefile:C:\winpe\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:\winpe\mount
    dism /image:C:\winpe\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-WDS-Tools.cab" 

If you want to modify your current cluster:

1. Replace the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2016\Data\Boot\x64\boot.wim

2. Go to cluster manager -> Configure your network, first configure your network to another topology (for example topology 5), and then re-configure it back to your current topology.

If you decide to re-install the head node or install a new head node:

1. Replace the file <installationpacakge>\amd64\BootImage\boot.wim

2. Run setup.exe to install the head node.

Good luck!

• Edited by Sunbin Zhu Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Parr Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:12 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:09 PM
  • I will like to say thank you.

This process has resolved 2 issues I have had during my deployment.

1) 10GB NICs being recognized at WinPE Boot

2) Downloading the service image during the deployment.

Once upgraded to WinPE 10.x.  I had to add 3 additional tasks to the Node template. The DISM tasks of the node deployment are hard coded to x:\DISM. With the new WinPE 10 DISM is located in the system32 path.

1) mkdir x:\DISM

2) copy X:\Windows\System32\DISM.exe X:\DISM

3) xcopy /e x:\windows\system32\dism x:\dism

Once these task were added before creating local directory for Install the process worked

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:09 PM
  • Hi Ken Parr,

Nice to know that the upgrading of WinPE to 10.x had fixed your network issue.

And sorry I missed one step in the WinPE modification, you have to add steps in the node template. The missing step is to copy DISM folder to root folder of boot.wim. 

robocopy "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM" C:\winpe\mount\DISM /e

Best Regards,

Sunbin

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:39 AM