Home Server shuts after 10-25min. RRS feed

• Question

• As of last night my Home Server just started shutting off after being on for 10-25 min. I came home to a warning that one of the drives needed to be repair. Did that and after a reboot the WHS came up. Later I notice my systray icon was gray and walked over to the WHS... it was off. Thinking maybe I shut it down instead of rebooting it... power button wouldn't bring it on (HP EX470), so I removed the power cord, plugged it back in, it came up... same story 10-25 min its off again.

No errors in the event logs, it just goes off.

Any suggestions as to what I might want to take a look at?

Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

One reason could be the CPU getting overheated. To protect the CPU from beeing damaged the system will shut itself down.
    Make sure the all cooling ventilators are properly operating (and at factory speed in case you modified the speed) and that the air vents (front and back) are not blocked or dusted (a vacuum clainer one in a while can do miracles :-)?

Did you by any chance do the CPU modification on your MediaSmart?
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by DarienA Monday, January 24, 2011 3:09 PM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

One reason could be the CPU getting overheated. To protect the CPU from beeing damaged the system will shut itself down.
    Make sure the all cooling ventilators are properly operating (and at factory speed in case you modified the speed) and that the air vents (front and back) are not blocked or dusted (a vacuum clainer one in a while can do miracles :-)?

Did you by any chance do the CPU modification on your MediaSmart?
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by DarienA Monday, January 24, 2011 3:09 PM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:30 PM
  • Nope no CPU modifications (only because when I looked recently the one recommended EX470 cpu was only being carried by one vendor and was ridiculously priced IMO).

But you're exactly right. Based on another recommendation I installed the MSS Fan Control add in and tweaked it to be more aggressive in regards to controlling fan speed. Box has been solid since.

Thanks.

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:11 PM