Tune Up scans my mapped network drives... and then goes onto the rest of the server RRS feed

• Question

• You need to change the default scanning to only *local* drives. I return to my PC after a couple hours to see that it's been scanning the files on the server that I have a folder mapped to. So was it going to scan my entire network eventually?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 8:30 PM

Answers

• You can add the mapped folder to the scan exclusions on the One Care Viruses and Spyware tab.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 9:25 PM

All replies

• You can add the mapped folder to the scan exclusions on the One Care Viruses and Spyware tab.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Thanks, I see it now. It wasn't really obvious... I guess they should have that option in the "Tune Up" tab instead of the "Virus and Spyware" section.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Prehaps mapped drives should not be scanned by default. Could this be the reason for the 6+ hour scans that have been mentioned in other threads?
    Monday, July 16, 2007 12:53 PM
  • I've also noticed that scanning .ISO files (cd image files) can take extremely long. I have some MSDN cd and dvd images that are many gigs in size, and the Tune Up got stuck on those for a few hours.

Monday, July 16, 2007 2:08 PM
  • Maxstr,

Since the scans of compressed files by OneCare are purposefully deep, this isn't surprising. My own testing of this using the Office 2007 beta installation files during the original WLOC 1.0 beta determined that the scan rates for these compressed files were actually slightly better than those for individual files, but they seemed longer due to the large number of files they contained. This could, however, be greatly affected by the amount of memory available on the PC performing the scanning.

It also appeared that some of these distribution (Installer, etc.) files were later added to the OneCare scanner, possibly via Name/MD5, which caused them to only be verified as one file, rather than scanning the entire contents. Unfortunately, of course, this wouldn't work for an initial scan of a new .ISO or other compressed file that you've created yourself, though it could be used for future scans if the file hasn't changed and the previous MD5 were saved. I don't know if this ability has been included or not, however, since it would require additional storage within a local PC database.

OneCareBear

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:31 PM