none
Problems with dead keys on MKLC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I’m using the Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 on Windows 10 to create custom keyboard layouts that fit my typographic requirements. For the field that I study I need a lot of characters that aren’t available on the windows keyboard. I use dead keys to exploit a wider range of characters, but some of theese don't work out the way I want. For example, I have a key with the label ‘9’ that produces small capital letters like ᴀ, ʙ, ᴄ…. In an earlyer version the label was simply ‘ᴀ’, but every time I pressed the key the output would be ‘ᴀᴀ’, it was practically not a dead key but a zombie key. 

Currently I’m rebuilding the greek polytonic keyboard, because I don’t like where the special characters are located in the original layout. Now the same problem occurs with nearly every diacritical mark.

When I press the keay for  

• ´ (oxia, U+1ffd)
    • ᾿ (psili, U+1fbf)

and so on, nothing happens but windows making a light tone. There a two exceptions:

1. ῏ (psili and perispomeni, U+1fcf) behaves like the small caps, which means the output is ‘῏῏’
    2. ΄ (tonos, U+0384), ͺ (iota subscript, U+037a), ̄ (macron, U+00af) and   ̆ (breve, U+02d8) behave normally.

Are there special constraints to the dead keys that I’m not aware of? I have no idea why for example ῏ (psili and perispomeni, U+1fcf) ῟ (dasia and preispomeni, U+1fdf) would behave differently. 

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Johannes Schuetz Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:50 AM
    • Moved by Baron Bi Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:16 AM Not about development
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

thanks for posting here.

Here is a document which list all the Windows Keyboard Layouts. You could refer to it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/windows-keyboard-layouts

Besides, this forum is about desktop application development issues. For your case which is more related to using the Keyboard Layout Creator, I suggest you post on this forum below.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Baron Bi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 3, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

I’m not sure, what you mean by refering to it and what this has to do with my problem.

I did that initially, but they sent me over here: “We appreciate you posting this query on Microsoft Community, and you for your participation. We would love to help you as our best. however, the issues about Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 are no longer in the community scope. Your query will be best addressed in Social MSDN.” 

Best Regards,

Johannes

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:40 PM