Dell pre-installed vista invalid? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I've been using my m1330 since August 14, and it's been working perfectly until last Saturday, the 29th. When I turned it on that morning, I get  message that says "The Windows Vista Home Premium product key you typed is invalid for activation." and three options, access your computer with reduced functionality, type a different product key, and contact dell to help resolve this problem.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0xc004f012
    Cached / Grace status: (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012) / 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4GJK-KG77H-B9HD2
    Windows Product Key Hash: iJAth4TbScMi8HdcPurlASXdEkw=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00204
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.000
    ID: {7899C300-5A23-4851-9670-7D028B2AB12D}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012) / 0x0 / (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012)
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{7899C300-5A23-4851-9670-7D028B2AB12D}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.000</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B9HD2</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00204</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3026073516-4196678202-2002462945</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>XPS M1330                       </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070621000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>91333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>9352232E94AEF71</Val><Hash>J455Jpy56s3uRFdDMno1THKzaG0=</Hash><Pid>89446-952-2674101-65011</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

On microsoft.com/genuine, I get error code [0x80080250]
    What's happening??

Thank you!
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi jonluo11,

No this is expected.

There are two product keys that come with a pre-installed vista computer sold by large companies (Dell, HP and others).

The first Product Key is a specal key that is installed in Vista, from the factory, and does not require Activation

The secound Product Key is the one listed on the sticker on the bottom of your computer.

Normally, you would (most likely) never use the secound Product key. If you ever needed to reinstall Vista, you would use the Restore CD (or Restore partition on your hard drive) that was provided by Dell, to restore your Vista back how it was when it came from the factory.

So currently, Vista is asking you to Activate, but you still have the factory installed 'specal' product key that does not require (nor allow) activation. This is one of the few situations where you would use the secound Product Key (the one from the sticker).

To change out the product key:

1) Click the Start button

2) Right Click Computer

3) Select Properties

4) Scroll to the bottom of the window that comes up and Click the Change Product Key link.

5) Follow the directions. If the directions include Activating using the new key, please be sure to use the Activate by Phone method. Otherwise you will receive a "Product Key invalid" message.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Hi Jonluo11,

I explained this a little, in a past post, but I will give you a fuller description of how pre-installed Vista computers (made by large companies) work, so you can have a better idea of what is happening:

Computers that are built by large manufactures (such as Dell and HP) that have Vista pre-installed have 2 product keys. The product key that is installed in Vista straght from the factory (called: OEM SLP)  and a product key that is on the sticker on the bottom of the computer (called: COA SLP)

When Vista was installed on your computer at the factory, the OEM SLP key was entered and at that time, Vista looks at the key and then looks for Dell specific information on the bios. If the key and the bios info "Match up" then Vista activates on it's own. (I believe it also confirms the key and bios match, at each boot, as well)  This is why this issue is so strange,  the fact that pre-installed Vista is not activating on it's own, when running on a Dell computer with a OEM SLP key. And I believe this may be a sign of a bigger issue.

Below are the only options that I can provide for you:

1) Try to change product key to the COA SLP key (the one on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Once you change the key over to the COA SLP key, you will need to activate by using the Activate by Phone method.  (I think you already tried this, but it wouldn't hurt to try again)

2) Use the Windows Restore CD (or Windows restore partition on the hard drive) to restore you Vista back to the way it was when it came from the factory.

3) Contact Dell for further support.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:51 PM

All replies

•  jonluo11 wrote:

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4GJK-KG77H-B9HD2

After posting I just noticed that the product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop is very different from the one in the diagnostic test. I guess they stuck the wrong code onto my laptop. What should I do?
    Thanks
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:35 PM
  • You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Afterward, please restart your computer.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Hi jonluo11,

No this is expected.

There are two product keys that come with a pre-installed vista computer sold by large companies (Dell, HP and others).

The first Product Key is a specal key that is installed in Vista, from the factory, and does not require Activation

The secound Product Key is the one listed on the sticker on the bottom of your computer.

Normally, you would (most likely) never use the secound Product key. If you ever needed to reinstall Vista, you would use the Restore CD (or Restore partition on your hard drive) that was provided by Dell, to restore your Vista back how it was when it came from the factory.

So currently, Vista is asking you to Activate, but you still have the factory installed 'specal' product key that does not require (nor allow) activation. This is one of the few situations where you would use the secound Product Key (the one from the sticker).

To change out the product key:

1) Click the Start button

2) Right Click Computer

3) Select Properties

4) Scroll to the bottom of the window that comes up and Click the Change Product Key link.

5) Follow the directions. If the directions include Activating using the new key, please be sure to use the Activate by Phone method. Otherwise you will receive a "Product Key invalid" message.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I can't get into windows at all. After logging in and seeing the welcome screen, the screen goes black and then the message with the invalid product key pops up with the three options. I tried entering the key on the sticker into the Type a different product key option, but it was invalid. I tried running slui.exe from firefox but all that happened was the Windows Activation box popped up with the invalid product key message. I don't see an activate by phone anywhere on it.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Hi jonluo11,

"...pops up with the three options"

What are the 3 options that you are given?

Thank you,

Darin

Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Hi,
    Access your computer with reduced functionality
    Type a different product key
    Contact Dell to help resolve this problem

Thanks,
    Jon
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Hi,
    Access your computer with reduced functionality
    Type a different product key
    Contact Dell to help resolve this problem

If I double posted, sorry, the system is really weird

Thanks,
    Jon
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:11 PM
  • I had the same problem with my Hp notebook,
    First you need the alphanumeric key of your Vista OS, you can found it down in your notebook
    later go to Type a different product key and put the alphanumeric key.
    later go to activate by phone, put your country and later will be appear the number phone that you can call and 54 number that you need to enter by the key of your phone, al last the system will communicate with an employer and he will give you a 54 numbers to activate the product

Saturday, October 6, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Hi,
    When I try to enter the key into Type a different product key, I get error 0xC004F050. "The Software Licensing service reported that the product key is invalid."

Thanks
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 3:01 PM
  • When I followed the steps at http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-56073-1.html
    I get an error message of 0xC004E017 after typing in slmgr.vbs -rearm. Now what? I'm kind of desperate as I need this laptop for school

Thanks
    Monday, October 8, 2007 10:46 AM
  • Hi Jonluo11,

Would you give the below steps a try and tell me how this works out:

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

Thank you,

Darin

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Hi

When I entered it into cmd I got an error
    Script: C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs
    Line: 303
    Char: 9
    Error: 0xC004E017
    Source: (null)

Restarted twice, still the same.

Thanks
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Make sure that you are running the command prompt as an administrator. Start > All Programs>Command Prompt, but dont just click it, right click it and select 'Run As Administrator. I think that may be why you are getting the access denied error.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Hi Jonluo11,

Let's try that again. I have modified the steps a bit. (when you type in the cscript text, make sure you include the spaces)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) A window with a black background will come up.

6) Type this blue text: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

7) wait a about 30-45 secs.

8) Hit the Enter key

9) Reboot 2 times

Darin

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Still no luck

This time no error message popped up, but it was in the cmd window. After I entered the stuff, under it said

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs(303,9) (null): 0xC004E017

And yes, I'm absolutely sure I clicked Run as Administrator.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:37 PM
  • How to Use the Dell PC Restore by Symantec Utility to Restore the Operating System to the Original Factory Condition:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=6CE6F5AE896111DB935579E80FC7F26D&docid=DC47E7957E35BBC0E030A68F27280D16
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:52 PM
  • So is this the last resort? If there's anything else that might work, I'd like to go for them. Is there any way to avoid losing all my data I kind of want to avoid spending the time to back it up.

Thanks!
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Hi Jonluo11,

I explained this a little, in a past post, but I will give you a fuller description of how pre-installed Vista computers (made by large companies) work, so you can have a better idea of what is happening:

Computers that are built by large manufactures (such as Dell and HP) that have Vista pre-installed have 2 product keys. The product key that is installed in Vista straght from the factory (called: OEM SLP)  and a product key that is on the sticker on the bottom of the computer (called: COA SLP)

When Vista was installed on your computer at the factory, the OEM SLP key was entered and at that time, Vista looks at the key and then looks for Dell specific information on the bios. If the key and the bios info "Match up" then Vista activates on it's own. (I believe it also confirms the key and bios match, at each boot, as well)  This is why this issue is so strange,  the fact that pre-installed Vista is not activating on it's own, when running on a Dell computer with a OEM SLP key. And I believe this may be a sign of a bigger issue.

Below are the only options that I can provide for you:

1) Try to change product key to the COA SLP key (the one on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Once you change the key over to the COA SLP key, you will need to activate by using the Activate by Phone method.  (I think you already tried this, but it wouldn't hurt to try again)

2) Use the Windows Restore CD (or Windows restore partition on the hard drive) to restore you Vista back to the way it was when it came from the factory.

3) Contact Dell for further support.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • No luck changing the product key to the COA SLP, I got error 0xC004F050

Anyway, I think I'm just going to try to restore Vista sometime this weekend then.
    Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Jon
    Friday, October 12, 2007 2:27 AM