Missing Computers Tab RRS feed

• Question

• When I use Firefox browser I don't get the 'Computers' tab for remote log in.  Back in August I see the following in a thread:

You must be using either A) Internet Explorer or B) Firefox with the IE tabs add-on.

Can someone tell me specifically which add-in I need to install to get Firefox to work?
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:37 PM

Answers

• Well what version of firefox do you use?

I don't see how you are going to get reliable IE functionality within Firefox.  The remote access is hosted within an ActiveX control and only Microsoft Internet Explorer supports ActiveX controls

I Don't quite get it myself - people don't want to use IE (which now since IE8 has a better rendering engine than anything else) but then they'll run an Add-in and want to use IE inside of firefox with worse performance that if they had used IE in the first place. I guess it's about choice but that's another thread.

--

• Marked as answer by vgordy Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:24 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:08 PM

All replies

• Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for the link, but that addon is reported only for older versions of Firefox.   IE does get to my Homeserver but Firefox doesn't.  I can continue to use IE but would prefer Firefox.  I installed Corel Tabs addin before posting to this forum, but it didn't solve the problem.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Well what version of firefox do you use?

I don't see how you are going to get reliable IE functionality within Firefox.  The remote access is hosted within an ActiveX control and only Microsoft Internet Explorer supports ActiveX controls

I Don't quite get it myself - people don't want to use IE (which now since IE8 has a better rendering engine than anything else) but then they'll run an Add-in and want to use IE inside of firefox with worse performance that if they had used IE in the first place. I guess it's about choice but that's another thread.

--

• Marked as answer by vgordy Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:24 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:08 PM
  • IETab hosts Internet Explorer inside Firefox. It's a fully functional IE window, with all chrome removed. So if you don't want to use IE regularly, but you do want to use the Windows Home Server Remote Access web site with full functionality, it's a good compromise.

Note that the link Al posted above is for Firefox versions prior to 3.6. For 3.6+ there's an experimental update to IE Tabs .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Or there is an enhanced replacement for IE Tab called Coral IE Tab here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10909

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Mark, note that the OP said he tried that above...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:28 AM