Synchronization between 1 source and 2 buckup-disks RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy for years and I like it very much. I used it to backup changes from a source-disk D to one backup-disk. Now I want to change my backup-policy. I still have one "source disk" D, which should be synchronized with 2 disks (D1 and D2). One disk will be outside the building on a secure place. After one week D1 will be exchanged by D2. But SyncToy does not synchronize with the second disk D2, because it changed already D1 with the changes on source D.

Any ideas how I can synchronize 1 source with 2 other disks ?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,
       Sorry I did not understand your requirement very well, what is the relation of D1 and D2? 1) Do you want to both D1 and D2 be synced with source D?
    Or 2) you want them have partial of files/folders of source D?

If your answer is 1), then you could create two folder pairs, once D2 connected, run sync folder pair2.
    If your answer is 2), it needs hardware support, I mean, OS need to recognize these D1 and D2 as a same disk, and also, you need to copy the same metadata file(guid.dat under right folder in the folder pairs) to D2 firstly, then run sync. Next time, you do the same step from D2 to D1.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Monday, December 7, 2009 6:25 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,
       Sorry I did not understand your requirement very well, what is the relation of D1 and D2? 1) Do you want to both D1 and D2 be synced with source D?
    Or 2) you want them have partial of files/folders of source D?

If your answer is 1), then you could create two folder pairs, once D2 connected, run sync folder pair2.
    If your answer is 2), it needs hardware support, I mean, OS need to recognize these D1 and D2 as a same disk, and also, you need to copy the same metadata file(guid.dat under right folder in the folder pairs) to D2 firstly, then run sync. Next time, you do the same step from D2 to D1.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Monday, December 7, 2009 6:25 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:34 AM
  • 1) was the answer I was looking for. It works. Thank you very much !!!
    Monday, December 7, 2009 11:25 AM