User Locked Out & Deleted Account Instead of Changing Password - How do I get back the data from this user's folder RRS feed

• Question

• I had created one User Account which created one User Folder for the family's data. We got locked out from our main computer to the WHS. When I logged into the WHS, I could not find a way to unlock this user. I chose to delete the User Account and recreate it (I probably should have done a password change).

How do I obtain the data from this deleted User Account folder?

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:09 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you don't. Windows doesn't support (and never has) a recycle bin for network shares, and the user folder on the server is in a network share.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Ken, thank you. I have turned my server off just in case. So there is no way to locate my data?

Next time when someone is locked out I should ONLY "reset password"?

Should I not store files in a User Folder in the future but rather in the Shared Folder presented by the server to avoid this possible mistake next time?

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Is this on the client PC, or on the server? Did something happen prior to you losing access via this user ID?
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Ken,

The wrong User Name or Password was entered too many times from the PC to access the data on the User Folder (we created on the WHS). Then we got the message we were locked out and had to contact the Administrator.

When I logged into the Server (as the Admin), I did not find a way to unlock the User (I should have created a new password) and I deleted the User and recreated it. This is when I realized the Folder for this User was no longer there.

I have turned off the Server since then.

I really need the data from this Folder. I need to find out if there is any way to retrive this data. Any ideas?

Secondly, in the future: 1st - I should only change password when a User is "locked out"? 2nd - Should I only put data into the file the Server initially offers (so that this mistake will not delete data in the future)?

Paul

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:10 PM
  • When a user is locked out, you should wait 1/2 hour; the user should automatically be unlocked. If the user keeps getting locked out, it's likely to be because of locally cached credentials that don't match server credentials, along with some application that's constantly accessing the server's shares for some reason (including a network share in a media library can produce this effect, for instance). Figuring out the exact cause usually requires some local access to systems; we can give you general pointers, but probably won't identify the specific issue.

As for where and how to store data: I don't store "live" data on a network share. If it's changing constantly, I keep a local copy and put it in a share when I'm done with it. So for example, if I were writing a document I would keep it locally on my client computer, and when I finished (or finished a draft for review) I'd put it on a server share. But nothing stored in any server share (user folder or otherwise) is protected by a recycle bin. No matter where you put data, if it's on your server and a user deletes it, it's gone.

As for recovering the files you lost, there are a lot of data recovery products out there. I have no recommendations, as my methods don't reauire them. You'll probably want to investigate each of the drives in your server individually to see if you can find the deleted files; the files you're interested in will originally have been stored in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\Users\etc..

• Proposed as answer by PAUL2WHS Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Another thing you can do is from the console, go into Settings,  Passwords,User Account Password Policy and set it to weak (any/no password allowed). This should let you go into the shared folder and copy/move the files into another folder. Another thing to try is to go to the Shared Folders tab, highlight the folder, select properties, User Access tab and then give full rights to another user. This is all for future reference.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:42 AM