XP validation error after installing wireless router... RRS feed

• Question

•  

windows xp (up to date)

router = netgear wg602v3

Hi, i've had this pc for 6 months, and never had any problems with it.

i've validated it before for downloading updates with no problem.

but today I installed a netgear router and restarted my pc then

I get a warning saying 'your hardware configuration has changed significantly and windows must be validated, you have 3 days'

why is this happening now, this is stupid if a wireless router can screw windows up...

any help would be great. thanks.

Dean.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:05 PM

Answers

•  Dean2209 wrote:

windows xp (up to date)

router = netgear wg602v3

I get a warning saying 'your hardware configuration has changed significantly and windows must be validated, you have 3 days'

why is this happening now, this is stupid if a wireless router can screw windows up...

Dean.

Dean, do you mean activation?

-phil

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:14 PM

All replies

• Dean2209,

Did you install a wireless network adapter in the computer in order to communicate with the wireless router?

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:09 PM
  •  Dean2209 wrote:

windows xp (up to date)

router = netgear wg602v3

Dean.

Dean, do you mean activation?

-phil

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:14 PM
  • yes i installed a sitecom usb wifi adaptor.

and yes i  mean activation, but ive already activated it before when i bought the pc. and they never gave me a cd with it, nor a cd key so i guess im screwed huh? hopefully not though. thanks

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:55 PM
  •  

can no one help me with this...?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:50 PM
  • Try the following:

1. Reboot your computer into "Safe Mode".

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

2. Go to Start > Run and type: %systemroot%\system32  then press the Enter key.

3. Locate these two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

4. Rename the wpa.dbl file to wpaold.dbl and wpa.bak to wpaold.bak

5. Reboot your computer into Normal Mode. This will force activation on the following boot. Sometimes if those files get corrupted, they can cause this type of problem.

If the above procedure does not solve the problem, then try: 

Guided Help to remove the script that interferes with Windows activation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us  

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:04 PM
  •  

Hi, thanks for the reply.

tried it and its done the same again, what i dont undertstand is the fact that ive registered it before and

i dont get why i now need to enter a serial number when i didnt have to before, and when i bought the pc

they never gave me a serial or cd, so i have nothing to enter into the registration wizard.

i dont understand why its asking for it now if its been done already.

thanks,

Dean,

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:16 PM
  • Locate your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) on your computer and enter the 25-character Product Key in the Activation Wizard.  Example: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:06 PM
  •  

there isnt one of those labels on the pc case anywhere. and the only books/manuals i got with the pc were for office and the motherboard. what else can i do?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:38 PM
  • If the computer is still operational:

Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:51 PM
  •  

Right, thats worked perfect. however im now getting something else.

its now saying that the key has been used too many times and i must locate another one.

ive never used it before as i never knew it. only time ive registered it was when i initially turned the pc on when i got it home.

why would it be doing this??

Dean.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:17 PM
  • OK, now one more step.  Use the option to "activate by phone" to obtain a new (and FREE) activation code. The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

How to activate Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:34 PM
  •  Dean2209 wrote:

yes i installed a sitecom usb wifi adaptor.

In the scheme of Windows Product Activation (WPA), the installation or changing of a network adapter is the most impactful single hardware change you can make.  Each time XP starts, the WPA system "polls" the installed hardware and checks the results against the list that was present when Windows was first installed.  IIRC there are 10 "votes" in the "poll" and WPA allows up to three hardware "votes" to be different.  Four or more votes on a desktop PC will trigger the requirement to reactivate.  Is just so happens that Network Adapters are worth up to three votes all by themselves, so if you made only one previous hardware change, adding a new network adapter could send your vote totals higher than WPA allows and trigger reactivation.

Dean2209 wrote:

and yes i  mean activation, but ive already activated it before when i bought the pc. and they never gave me a cd with it, nor a cd key so i guess im screwed huh? hopefully not though. thanks

If you purchased a new non-name brand (aka "white box") computer from a local merchant with XP preinstalled (typically XP Pro), and did not received a genuine MS hologram XP CDROM, a Certificate of Authenticity (supposed to be affixed to the computer's case), a thin User Guide pamphlet, and did not have to agree to an End User Licensing Agreement when you first started the computer, there's a 99.99% chance that you have a pirated installation of XP on the computer.

Run the MGADiag tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 to find out, and post its output in a response message in this thread.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:56 PM
  •  

Thanks for all the help, got it sorted by calling them.

Thanks again!

Dean.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:03 PM