none
Where do moderators come from? RRS feed

• Question

• I frequent two forums regularly, and have been for about 6 months now.  In my time on these forums, I have made friends with the regulars, and am on good terms with the long-term moderators.

Now, every so often, a new moderator appears on the scene, with about 20 points, and I've never seen this person before.  They don't know anyone, and no-one knows them.  I have nothing against them, I just wonder where they come from?  Often, they disappear as mysteriously as the arrived, and we never hear from them again.

I'm just interested in the process:  How does one become a moderator?

([string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578846355658268").substring(($_*2),2))})).replace(' ','')

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:10 AM

Answers

• Bigteddy,

here is a wiki article about how to become a moderator: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-become-an-msdn-or-technet-forum-moderator.aspx

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    • Marked as answer by Bigteddy Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:07 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:59 PM
  • It seems to vary by forum. I believe selecting moderators is up to the forum owner. I know I was asked by Ed Wilson in the Scripting Guys forum, and he occasionally has communicated with us. In some forums it seems almost all moderators are Microsoft employees. I notice that most of the new ones you may be referring to seem to be Microsoft Contingent Staff, which makes me think there were selected to be moderators as their job.

For future reference, moderating can be a lot of work. I suspect that some of the regulars I know to be very expert (and active for years) must have been asked to moderate and turned it down, perhaps because they would rather answer questions (or maybe the policy in the particular forum is to have Microsoft employees only). When I put on my moderator hat things get more difficult. As you know, the op rarely marks answers. If the question is in an area I'm expert in, I'll answer. However, my personally policy is to not mark my own replies as the answer. Otherwise, I'm trying to decide which reply or replies is the answer, when really the participants would be better judges. My philosophy is that the best outcome is always for the op to mark the answer. I generally wait a few days, then mark one or more proposed answers (even my own) as a hint, then later come back to mark answers if no one already has. That's a lot of work. I appreciate it when others mark proposed answers. I frankly sometimes mark answers based somewhat on their reputation, and I suspect they likewise are hesitant to mark their own replies as answer (if they are also a moderator).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bigteddy Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:42 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:10 PM

All replies

• Bigteddy,

here is a wiki article about how to become a moderator: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-become-an-msdn-or-technet-forum-moderator.aspx

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    • Marked as answer by Bigteddy Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:07 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Heslacher, thanks for that link.  So it seems it's ultimately up to Ed Price.  I'm cool with that, he seems like a nice guy.

I don't particularly want to be a moderator, and we have plenty anyway.  As it says, "if there's a forum that has a need for a moderator".  Maybe sometime in the future when the others get tired of it.

([string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578846355658268").substring(($_*2),2))})).replace(' ','')

Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:07 PM
  • It seems to vary by forum. I believe selecting moderators is up to the forum owner. I know I was asked by Ed Wilson in the Scripting Guys forum, and he occasionally has communicated with us. In some forums it seems almost all moderators are Microsoft employees. I notice that most of the new ones you may be referring to seem to be Microsoft Contingent Staff, which makes me think there were selected to be moderators as their job.

For future reference, moderating can be a lot of work. I suspect that some of the regulars I know to be very expert (and active for years) must have been asked to moderate and turned it down, perhaps because they would rather answer questions (or maybe the policy in the particular forum is to have Microsoft employees only). When I put on my moderator hat things get more difficult. As you know, the op rarely marks answers. If the question is in an area I'm expert in, I'll answer. However, my personally policy is to not mark my own replies as the answer. Otherwise, I'm trying to decide which reply or replies is the answer, when really the participants would be better judges. My philosophy is that the best outcome is always for the op to mark the answer. I generally wait a few days, then mark one or more proposed answers (even my own) as a hint, then later come back to mark answers if no one already has. That's a lot of work. I appreciate it when others mark proposed answers. I frankly sometimes mark answers based somewhat on their reputation, and I suspect they likewise are hesitant to mark their own replies as answer (if they are also a moderator).

• Proposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bigteddy Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:42 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:10 PM
  •  

For future reference, moderating can be a lot of work.

I take that point.  I really appreciate all the volunteer work you guys put in.  I'll enjoy just answering questions for a while, thanks very much!

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:46 PM