OneCare Restore Tool not working because subscription has expired??!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I had a Windows Live OneCare subscription that just expired a few days ago. I used Windows Live OneCare for everything over the years - especially faithfully backing up my system on a regular basis - and found it to be a great tool.

About a month ago (around tax time), I realized that there were some files that I had backed up using OneCare and that I really needed in order to file my returns. I did some research, found that I needed to download the Windows Live OneCare restore tool, found it, installed it on my PC and I was able to retrieve the files I was looking for at the time.

Keep in mind that I did not restore the ENTIRE backup because I thought I could use the restore tool indefinitely... but here's the "Catch22":

I just tried to retrieve additional files using the restore tool and just got a message that says, "OneCare can't restore your files because your OneCare subscription has expired. Please renew your subscription and then try again."

What the???!!! If I could renew the subscription, I would, but I can't, so what am I supposed to do now? Please help - I've got a zillion files that are in OneCare back-up limbo!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim, in addition to thanking you for your assistance, I'd also like to credit Simon at Microsoft's Customer Support for also responding to my issue in less than 24 hours.

Simon says :-) that this issue appears to be caused by a corrupt registry key. Here are the steps he recommended that I use to delete the corrupt OneCare registry value:

================================

1. Click the Start button, type REGEDIT in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following key in the left pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Services

3. Right-click WinSS and click Delete.

4. Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Simon also said that if the user is still experiencing a problem using the OneCare restore tool, they should capture a screenshot of the problem:

1. When the error comes up, to capture a screenshot of the error, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on the keyboard.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and then click Paint.

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as the "Save as type", and click Save to save the screenshot file to your Desktop -- don't forget to save it with a name that you'll remember!

Thanks again to JimR1 and Simon at Microsoft Customer Support!! Looks like this is the ticket! :-)

Cheers,
    Lisa

Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:38 AM

All replies

• If you haven't already done so uninstall One Care since it offers very little protection without current updates. After uninstalling One Care the restore tool should work. If One Care is uninstalled and the restore tool still does not work you can contact support for help with restoring your files. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, May 14, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Thanks for your rapid response, Jim. OneCare was not installed on my PC when I downloaded and successfully used the restore tool last month - but, that was before my subscription expired (just a few days ago). Unfortunately, something appears to be "reading" the expiry date, so the restore tool is no longer working because it thinks my subscription is invalid. I put in a help ticket with the support folks and I'll give you an update after I hear from them. Cheers, Lisa
    Friday, May 14, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Thanks Lisa. I am looking forward to an update. The restore tool should work regardless of your subscription status.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, May 14, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Hi Jim, in addition to thanking you for your assistance, I'd also like to credit Simon at Microsoft's Customer Support for also responding to my issue in less than 24 hours.

Simon says :-) that this issue appears to be caused by a corrupt registry key. Here are the steps he recommended that I use to delete the corrupt OneCare registry value:

1. Click the Start button, type REGEDIT in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following key in the left pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Services

3. Right-click WinSS and click Delete.

4. Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Simon also said that if the user is still experiencing a problem using the OneCare restore tool, they should capture a screenshot of the problem:

1. When the error comes up, to capture a screenshot of the error, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on the keyboard.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and then click Paint.

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as the "Save as type", and click Save to save the screenshot file to your Desktop -- don't forget to save it with a name that you'll remember!

Thanks again to JimR1 and Simon at Microsoft Customer Support!! Looks like this is the ticket! :-)

Cheers,
    Lisa

Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Thanks for the update Lisa. I'm glad to hear you are now able to restore your files.

Jim

Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed follow-up, Lisa. I've made this thread a sticky as I believe it will help others in a similar situation.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, May 17, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi Lisa

I tired this fix but now the one care restore tool tels me it cannont connect to the onecare server.

I have allowed access through the firewall.

I am running out of ideas now!

Do you have any suggestions please?  Microsoft have realy let users down with this.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Hi Lisa

I tired this fix but now the one care restore tool tels me it cannont connect to the onecare server.

I have allowed access through the firewall.

I am running out of ideas now!

Do you have any suggestions please?  Microsoft have realy let users down with this.

It works well for most people, Tim at Stratford. I'm sorry that it isn't working for you.

2 choices: contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

or

the OneCare backup files are standard zip files that can be opened with WinZip or other 3rd party unzipping utility. Opening the zip files, extracting the contents and restoring to the right locations would be rather painful using the manual method, but it works.

Note that any files split by OneCare backup would also need to be rejoined. This means that the parts exist in more than one zip file due to the size of the backed up file. Rename the parts to .001, .002, .003, etc and use this utility (free) to rejoin the parts. 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, June 4, 2010 2:50 PM