Re: Anti Virus and Anti Spyware Updates. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please be careful.  That was happening to me for a few days so I selected the update version and went through the screens using credit card info then cancelled, hoping to stop it.  My computer would not come up night before last.  I only get the first Windows banner screen then it goes black.  I was able to bring it up in safemode once but the next time 'safe mode' appears on the  bottom corners of the screen and a line about Microsoft across the top and the rest of the screen is black.  I spent 3 hours on the phone with 4 different Microsoft technical support folks and the last one - an operating system guy - told me because my software was bundled in HP recovery disks instead of the retail version they could not help me.  I have AVG and Norton and whatever it is got past them.

I think it is not a true Microsoft update request.  Something about it seemed not quite right.  Today I have funny emails with 'win' in the sender's name'

Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:06 PM

All replies

• I split your post off and moved it to the off topic folder, since this forum is for Windows Live OneCare and the thread you posted to is indeed about a real update issue with OneCare - http://onecare.live.com

What you apparently encountered and fell for is malware, masquerading as a legitimate update or product.

And you really need to remove one of your antivirus products, as having two - Norton and AVG - will potentially make the system less secure and may cause system instability.

-steve

Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:40 PM