2 Project Manager type, In-house and Contractor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Project Server 2007 on a SharePoint, in our shop there are two Project Manager types:

1.       In-house Project Manager where they have the same capability and permission as the default Project Managers group.

2.       Contractor Project Manager which is identical like the In-house Project Manager except that they can see but not edit other Project Manager’s project.

I try to maintain all the permissions at the group level therefore I do not like the solution where the Contractor Project Manager’s name has to be added to a dummy task in a Project as a Team Member so that he can see the project as it become his assignment.

To solve this I created a new group ContractorPM and remove My Organization category from ContractorPM, but as it turn out now the ContractorPM cannot see other project within the same RBS.

The question is, is there a straight-forward and simple solution to achieve this.  What I mean here is for example remove category a and b and add category c to group ContractorPM, and remove permission x and y and add permission z to the Global permission for ContractorPM.

Thank you for your attention.
    Thanks, oemar00
    • Moved by Barbara HenhaplMVP Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:58 PM Project Server question (From:Project Standard and Professional General Questions and Answers)
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

not that simple as you want to, but not that difficult.

You will not only need an additional group, but also an additional category. A category does define a kind of "filter": what is a user allowed to see. Together with group permissions, you can define what is is allowed to do for what kind of projects/resources.

Create a category similar to "My Projects", but with "The User is on that project's Project Team" and "A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS" unselected. Doing so will prevent your contractor from seeing or open project's,  where he or one of his descendants per RBS are only a team members. Do this only if necessary. From my understanding, you want "The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User" selected? This will provide access to all projects within the same RBS. Add appropriate views and save your new category. Open your Contractor group and add this category. Provide permissions as needed, like Open Project, View Project Schedule in Project Web App, and View Project Summary in Project Center. To do so, make sure that you select your new category in section Categories in columns Selected categories. Shall he be allowed to save projects on the same RBS level? If so, you need also to activate this one.

Does that help? Feel free to ask additional questions!
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by oemar00 Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:50 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:57 PM

All replies

• Please post the question on the Project Server Forum, this forum is only for MS PRoject.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/threads

Sapna S
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

not that simple as you want to, but not that difficult.

You will not only need an additional group, but also an additional category. A category does define a kind of "filter": what is a user allowed to see. Together with group permissions, you can define what is is allowed to do for what kind of projects/resources.

Create a category similar to "My Projects", but with "The User is on that project's Project Team" and "A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS" unselected. Doing so will prevent your contractor from seeing or open project's,  where he or one of his descendants per RBS are only a team members. Do this only if necessary. From my understanding, you want "The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User" selected? This will provide access to all projects within the same RBS. Add appropriate views and save your new category. Open your Contractor group and add this category. Provide permissions as needed, like Open Project, View Project Schedule in Project Web App, and View Project Summary in Project Center. To do so, make sure that you select your new category in section Categories in columns Selected categories. Shall he be allowed to save projects on the same RBS level? If so, you need also to activate this one.

Does that help? Feel free to ask additional questions!
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by oemar00 Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:50 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Thank you, so sound so convincing.
    Thanks, oemar00
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:50 PM