OCS2007 role PROXY RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I've read on few docs of OCS2007 Proxy Role (see below on how to install it and activate it).

The question is: what is an OCS2007 Proxy and what it is used for?

Thank you in advance

beppe

On the Windows Start menu, choose Run.

2 Navigate to the C:\Office Communications

Server_Eval\se_eval\setup\i386\ folder.

3 For OCS Standard Edition:

server.msi SERVER=PROXY SKU=SE

OR

For OCS Enterprise Edition:

server.msi SERVER=PROXY SKU=EE

4 Activate the proxy server using command line (from Office

Communications Server_Eval\StandardEdition\setup\i386 folder).

Activate on domain: lcscmd /server/password: <password>

/action: activate /roleStick out tongueroxy

Activate on workgroup: lcscmd /server/password:

<password> /action: activate /role:workgroupproxy

5 Type:

Exit on the command line.

6 Run the Installation wizard and select the defaults.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:51 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I´ve heard about this server role in discussions about integrating Nortel PBX into OCS. The role is definiteley needed for this purpose in combination with the OCS mediation server and of course the OCS "core" server roles. It can well be that the Proxy can also be used in conjunction with other PBX models, but I have not heard of this.

Cheers,

Heiko.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:22 PM

All replies

•  

I believe this may be carry over from the LCS command lines.  The LCS Proxy server role has been renamed to the Edge role(s) in OCS and I think the above is the command line to setup and activate an Edge server. 

I'll look into this a bit more and try and get a more definiative answer.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Hello Josef,

Tahnks for your reply.

I think it's rather an Application Proxy. As a matter of fact it's always invoked when talking of RCC or Dual Forking.

If you could have a look that would help big time.

Cheers

beppe

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

I´ve heard about this server role in discussions about integrating Nortel PBX into OCS. The role is definiteley needed for this purpose in combination with the OCS mediation server and of course the OCS "core" server roles. It can well be that the Proxy can also be used in conjunction with other PBX models, but I have not heard of this.

Cheers,

Heiko.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Hello Heiko,

infact I read of it in a Nortel doc. The only thing to do is to set it up in a virtual machine and see how it looks like.

Thank you

beppe

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

the proxy is not an edge server, as it might suggest by previous role in LCS. In fact you install it as is described at the beggining of the thread.

I can state from the experience i've had recently, that it is used by Nortel togheter with their application MCM (Multimedia Convergece Manager). In my deployment, the proxy server is the PSTN gateway next hop configured in my mediation servers, and the Nortel guys installed this MCM application on it...

Basically, this application together with the proxy server provides the necessary components to enable voice integration between OCS and the CS1000 PBX.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:46 PM