Catch-22 RRS feed

• General discussion

• About a month ago I bought a new HP computer. It came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it. A few days ago, the little HP updater thingee decided to update the computer's BIOS. Unfortunately, the machine was rebooted while the BIOS chip was being reflashed. Now the machine won't even boot. HP can fix the problem, but that would mean I'd  be without my computer for 10 days (or more) while they work on it.

So I figured a faster way to get the machine back up and running was to buy a new motherboard, swap the CPU and RAM over to it, and install it. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The machine boots up, and I am told that my copy of Windows is no longer genuine. It goes into "reduced functionality mode" which should theoretically allow me to go online and re-activate the Vista license via a special page on HP's web site. The problem is that the ethernet card is on the motherboard, so it got swapped out, too. The new motherboard also has an on-board ethernet, but there are no drivers installed for it yet, nor can I install any in reduced functionality mode.

HP says that in order to fix this problem I will need to bring my machine to one of their service centers - precisely what I was trying to avoid in the first place!

Any suggestions, anyone? Is there any other way to get Vista to realize that it's genuine again without having to ship my PC to a repair center?

Sunday, May 13, 2007 4:03 AM

All replies

• Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues, you’ll need to contact outside support for the expertise necessary to troubleshoot your non-validation related issue.  You can do so by posting or searching in the Vista pubic newsgroups, found here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx or by following this link to Product Support Services.  Microsoft has a 90 day free support period that starts on the day you first acquire Vista. 

Since you bought your computer pre-installed with Vista you’ll need to contact them for further support.  Thanks!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:15 AM