One Care full scan and Tune-up freezes

Question

•  

Why do both the full scan & tune-up functions freeze at some point during the operation?
    Friday, September 05, 2008 12:18 AM

Answers

• It could be caused by a hardware problem such as overheating or insufficient resources, a hard disc error, or a problem within One Care. If you can eliminate overheating or insufficient resources as a problem I would try running a chkdsk to see if that resolves the problem. If the issue persists after checking the hard drive for errors please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, September 05, 2008 3:31 AM

All replies

• It could be caused by a hardware problem such as overheating or insufficient resources, a hard disc error, or a problem within One Care. If you can eliminate overheating or insufficient resources as a problem I would try running a chkdsk to see if that resolves the problem. If the issue persists after checking the hard drive for errors please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, September 05, 2008 3:31 AM
  • This is a new computer (2 mos), but  I did run chkdsk and it was fine. The computer does not seem even warm, other than the air coming out of the fan. I already submitted an inquiry to support and am waiting for a reply, but I thought I would try the forum to see if anyone else had this problem. Thanks for the suggestions!

Friday, September 05, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Please do report the cause when found. It sounds like OneCare may be hanging on an infected file or file that it thinks is infected. When you note that it hangs, does it ever wake back up or does it need to be killed? At what % point is the problem happening? Is it the same each time?

-steve

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:04 PM
  • It happens at various points, never the place. For example, it can be at 13% complete or 72% complete when it freezes. It never wakes up, though I have never let it go longer than about 60 seconds. I then have to hold down the power button to turn off the computer and then restart. I have run Registry Mechanic and it comes up with 2 lines of High Priority that apply to One Care. They are as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SoftwareMicrosoft\OneCareProtection\Exclusions\Paths

It also comes up withone other High Priority item:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IntelWireless\EV Trace\Eng

I have also been having a problem with the Intel Wireless card since I installed One Care, so that may be why Registry Mechanic is coming up with this, though I could be wrong and it could be unrelated. When I click on Repair in Registry Mechanic it only repairs 1 of the items. When I immediately re-run the scan, the 2 One Care items are left and the Intel item has been repaired.

Friday, September 05, 2008 10:29 PM
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SoftwareMicrosoft\OneCareProtection\Exclusions\Paths is where any exclusions to the One Care scans would be listed. This key and its sub-keys are valid registry entries. I don't know about the second reg key but more than likely it is not an issue. It is extremely rare when a "registry cleaner" actually fixes anything and they often create problems so I'm not much of a fan.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 3:54 AM
  • There are some things in the exclusions box that I did not put there. They appear to be from the Documents and Settings, but the box is not big enough and cannot be enlarged for me to see exactly what they are. Should I go ahead and remove these items from the exclusions?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:38 PM
  • I would leave the exclusions. Some of the exclusions are in the Application Data folders and malware is not likely to reside there. Additionally any object not scanned in a manual or scheduled scan will be scanned automatically on access.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:47 PM
  • I have figured out this much about the exclusions. They are:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications...

There are 2 lines of the above.

The next exclusion item is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows One Care Live\database\

Would the last item be causing a conflict since it is a One Care exclusion?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 6:28 PM
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows One Care Live\database\ should remain excluded from scans.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I have tried everything I can think of, including running a scan on every folder separately, which all came out as okay. It froze again today while it was scanning something in the CTongue Tiedystem Volume Information..... (don't know what file it is. I wish they would gray-out the full screen option, the only option for the box is to minimize it to the task tray. I will just have to wait for tech support to reply to the system info they requested and see what they come up with. Thanks again!

Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:48 PM
  • What's up with the face in place of the : and capital S?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:50 PM
  • When you put : next to S you get this Tongue Tied You meant to write C:\System.........  By leaving out the backslash the forum software saw the symbol for an emoticon.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Got it, thanks. New info: the custom scan froze at C:\System Volume Inform...\A0064827.rbf. I was essentially scanning everything by check marking C drive. I waited about 5 minutes and the system re-booted itself. Any thoughts?

Sunday, September 07, 2008 3:26 AM
  • If you are comfortable doing this turn off System Restore ( this will delete all restore points ) turn System Restore back on, create a restore point, then try a scan.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 3:44 AM
  • I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I just completed a custom scan of the My Computer option and it went through with no hang ups. The only difference is that last night I found, through Windows Explorer, a KAV6 Note Pad file (very small kb), that was from a previously installed Kaspersky Internet Security. I had gone through regedit and cleaned out all Kaspersky found there, as well as the Program Files folder. I did not think there was anything left of Kaspersky, so I was surprised to find it hiding in an obsure place in Windows Explorer. Tomorrow I will try doing a Tune-up and see if it goes through to the end. I will post an update as soon as I have an answer. Hopefully, I found the answer!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:24 PM
  • So, One Care support had me delete registry Mechanic and Dell Automated PC Tune-up because they tink both programs were interfering; it did not change the problem. Then they had me do a clean boot retaining the One Care items and the winssnotify.exe item, then restart and run a scan- success! Now I have run the Sys Info Utility they requested and emailed it to the tech guy who is supposed to be helping me (though he has not answered an email I sent him at least 3 days ago). Any thoughts on why the clean boot resulted in success, other than the obvious that the program causing the conflict was disabled? Of note is that even though I got rid of Registry Mechanic and checked regedit, it still shows up in the list of start-up items under MSCONFIG, though it is unchecked. I did find it in the prefetch folder and deleted it hoping that would get it out of the start-up list, but no luck.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:24 PM
  • To clear invalid entries from the System Configuration Utility see this - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSCONFIG.htm

although leaving the entries will cause no harm.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Thanks for this info!. I was afraid they would have to stay there.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:29 AM
  • A quick question. I noticed an Adobe Flash Player Active X in the Add/Remove programs. Could this be causing a conflict, and if so, can I remove it without it causing problems with Internet Explorer 7?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Adobe Flash Player should not cause any issues. You can uninstall it but if you encounter a flash object as you are browsing you will be prompted to install it again.

Friday, September 12, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Thanks Jim!

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Well, here is what I know as of this date. Through a long process it seems as if the following program is causing the conflict:

NvCpl- RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\System32\NvCpl.dll, Nv Startup

Here is another problem. I can't keep this from starting up because everytime I go to MSCONFIG>Startup and uncheck then restart it shows back up with a check mark next to it. There are now 3 of these in startup in MSCONFIG.

Any suggestions/ideas would be great!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Look for a more current Nvidia graphics driver - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:11 AM
  • Thanks Jim! I will check that out and let you know what happens.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Well Jim, apparently I already have the latest driver for my GeFroce 8400. Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, is that what the 'command' I reported has to do with? I ask because there is a separate line in the startup for Nvidia.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:48 AM
  • One more question. Windows keeps wanting me to install the Service Pack 3 it auto-downloaded this morning. It has downloaded before and I have avoided doing the install (I made sure no traces of it were in the system) because I have heard there are problems with it. I don't have it on my other (older) laptop. What is your opinion?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:00 AM
  • SP3 is an important upgrade for security purposes. Help is available from Microsoft for SP3 install issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab2

-steve

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Well, then I guess I will go ahead and install it and hope for the best. Thanks!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:31 PM