Storage Error after hard swapping disks between Disk Controller cards RRS feed

• Question

• 2 of my PCs back up ok, but the other 2 show the following error in the backup details...

An error occured reading or writing from server storage
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-AC89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalCluster.4096.dat
    ReadFile

Please bear with me...

- I had all 4 SATAs in use. I "Added" a 2xDisk controller card, and 2x1.5TB WD disks.

- The card or cables was faulty, and the 2x disks would often go offline. :-(

- So I "Removed" 2 small drives (from the main 4x SATA group) using the menu. Then simply
      plugged the 2x 1.5 TB drives into this 4x SATA Group (But _no_t using proper "Remove"/"Add" command).

All looks good on the surface but I now get that error (above) when backing up some PCs.
    So I'm now wondering if moving disks between controller cards is problematic.

---
    Next step...
    * Try and put the 2x 1.5TB back on the card. "Add" another 1.5TB disk then "Remove" the 2x disks correctly via the menu.

Phew!
    Any advice?
    Thanks
    Rob

Rob Chandler http://Helpware.net
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Rob,
    seems the backup database has been affected somehow (damaged?) or the tombstones are not properly updated after the disk rearrangement.
    The quickest method seems to be, to delete the Backup database and start over, if it is not a problem to loose the client backups (which usually can be redone).
    To do this, either install the old Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.0 and select Reset database, or you can try to delete all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} via Windows Explorer from the servers desktop.

If you cannot delete all files in that folder, there may be invalid reparse points. In this case open a command prompt and enter following commands:

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    for %i in (*) do fsutil reparsepoint delete %i

Check also, if there are more files in 
    d:\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\
    c:\fs\<volumemountpoint>\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\
    and delete the files as well. You need to enable Show hidden files and folders in folder options to see those folders.

After finishing this perform a reboot on the server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,
    seems the backup database has been affected somehow (damaged?) or the tombstones are not properly updated after the disk rearrangement.
    The quickest method seems to be, to delete the Backup database and start over, if it is not a problem to loose the client backups (which usually can be redone).
    To do this, either install the old Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.0 and select Reset database, or you can try to delete all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} via Windows Explorer from the servers desktop.

If you cannot delete all files in that folder, there may be invalid reparse points. In this case open a command prompt and enter following commands:

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    for %i in (*) do fsutil reparsepoint delete %i

Check also, if there are more files in 
    d:\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\
    c:\fs\<volumemountpoint>\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\
    and delete the files as well. You need to enable Show hidden files and folders in folder options to see those folders.

After finishing this perform a reboot on the server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Olaf this is very useful Info.  I now have a few things I can try.
    Many thanks! Good night from Australia.
    Rob

Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Hey Olaf
    I searched everywhere for a TookKit version 1. But could not find it anywhere.

Not to worry, your other advice was gold.
    Delete D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    and it cleaned out all saved data.

Thanks again
    Rob

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:38 PM
  • ...or you can try to delete all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} via Windows Explorer from the servers desktop.
    I have a similar problem and having looked into this it seems to me that deleting this folder will delete all old backups for all backed up computers in the network. Is that correct?
    I can't find the Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.0 anywhere and the 1.1 seems to just deal with connection problems or have I missed something?
    really appreciate any help on this issue.
    /Donald
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:40 AM
  • ... it seems to me that deleting this folder will delete all old backups for all backed up computers in the network. Is that correct?
    I can't find the Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.0 anywhere ...
    Yes, that's correct; deleting all the files in that folder will delete all backups.

As for the toolkit, it was updated to version 1.1 some time ago, and version 1.0 is no longer available.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:11 PM
  • As for the toolkit, it was updated to version 1.1 some time ago, and version 1.0 is no longer available.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Will the 1.1 version do the same job. I can't see any option to repair the database. There is however an option to repair the database in the WHS console in settings for the backup, but that keeps failing on me. Is my only option then to delete all backups and start over?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,
    Will the 1.1 version do the same job. I can't see any option to repair the database. There is however an option to repair the database in the WHS console in settings for the backup, but that keeps failing on me. Is my only option then to delete all backups and start over?
    Since you haven't posted any details of your specific problem, it's hard to say for sure.  But generally, if the repair doesn't work, then yes, you will probably have to delete the entire backup database (and I would suggest a reboot of the server afterwards) and start a new backup database.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:29 PM
  • My problem is as follows. WHS on HP SmartMedia Server with 3 HDD (2TB in total, 2x500GB, 1x1TB) backing up 2 Dell XPS laptops running Vista 32-bit Home Premium and Ultimate. Both laptops backed up fine until a week or so ago. Now, one of the laptops backs up fine and the other doesn't and I get an error message like this all the time:

"An error occured reading or writing from server storage
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-AC89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{449B00-F782-452C-A63D-F8BOCAFEE722}.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat
    ReadFile
    1117"

I've tried to do a repair and a cleanup of old backups, from WHS console/settings. Repair says that the database has been repaired, but cleanup fails for some reason. "An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation." is the error message I get when trying to do a cleanup. I've also done CHKDSK on the laptop that WHS fails to backup. After all this and a reboot of the server,WHS still fails to backup one of the laptops, with the same error message as before.

Is there an equivalent to CHDSK for the WHS or is there any other tool I can use to get my backups to work again. I wouldn't really like to start over with the backup as I have backups of old computers on this server as well, and I guess I would lose those backups if I delete the D:\folders\{00008086-058D-AC89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}-folder.

Any help on this issue is really appreciated and if you need more info/details, please tell me what you need.
    /Donald
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:39 AM
  • My problem is as follows. WHS on HP SmartMedia Server with 3 HDD (2TB in total, 2x500GB, 1x1TB) backing up 2 Dell XPS laptops running Vista 32-bit Home Premium and Ultimate. Both laptops backed up fine until a week or so ago. Now, one of the laptops backs up fine and the other doesn't and I get an error message like this all the time:

"An error occured reading or writing from server storage
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-AC89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{449B00-F782-452C-A63D-F8BOCAFEE722}.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat
    ReadFile
    1117"

I've tried to do a repair and a cleanup of old backups, from WHS console/settings. Repair says that the database has been repaired, but cleanup fails for some reason. "An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation." is the error message I get when trying to do a cleanup. I've also done CHKDSK on the laptop that WHS fails to backup. After all this and a reboot of the server,WHS still fails to backup one of the laptops, with the same error message as before.

Is there an equivalent to CHDSK for the WHS or is there any other tool I can use to get my backups to work again.

You can run chkdsk /r on your server hard drives as well.  See Ken Warren's FAQ post: How to check all the drives in your server for errors.

I wouldn't really like to start over with the backup as I have backups of old computers on this server as well, and I guess I would lose those backups if I delete the D:\folders\{00008086-058D-AC89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}-folder.

Yes, you would.  FYI, archiving backups is not a good idea on WHS.  The client PC backup is designed to be used to restore a broken/virus-infected client to how it was just before the problem occurred.  The reason is if any one portion of your backup database has problems, you might well lose your entire backup database (as you are now finding out).  You could backup the backup database (using the BDBB add-in), then try deleting it and see what happens...

Any help on this issue is really appreciated and if you need more info/details, please tell me what you need.
    /Donald

Monday, April 13, 2009 4:23 AM
  • You can run chkdsk /r on your server hard drives as well.  See Ken Warren's FAQ post: How to check all the drives in your server for errors.
    I've tried the chkdsk as suggested in the link you provided but it stalls at stage 4 of 5. It actually opens two instances of chkdsk and in the first stalls at 34% complete and in the second at 11%. There obviously seems to be something wrong with one of the disks.

Do you have any other ideas? Appreciate any help/ideas on this issue.

/Donald
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I've tried the chkdsk as suggested in the link you provided but it stalls at stage 4 of 5. It actually opens two instances of chkdsk and in the first stalls at 34% complete and in the second at 11%. There obviously seems to be something wrong with one of the disks.
    The script you run is intended to open one instance of chkdsk per disk in the storage pool and run them all at once, so multiple instances of chkdsk are expected. (They run simultaneously to reduce total downtime on your server.)

If multiple disks are reporting errors, and especially if they're all connected to the same controller, I would look at the controller as a possible source. If you've run chkdsk more than once, do they stall at the same point every time?
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:59 PM
  • If multiple disks are reporting errors, and especially if they're all connected to the same controller, I would look at the controller as a possible source. If you've run chkdsk more than once, do they stall at the same point every time?
    Thanks for your reply,

I've only tried it twice and yes they stall at approximately the same point. I'm currently trying to run chkdsk "old" school by selecting "error check" in properties for each "disk" and reboot. It seems to take forever, as the server has been inaccessable for a couple of hours now. However, I did check "search for sectors and try to repair" as well as "repair errors automatically". Sorry for the odd language, but I'm translating from my Swedish version of Vista.

How do I know if it's the controller? What can I do about it?

WHS is running on a HP SmartMedia Server.

/Donald
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Well, having them stall at about the same point every time suggests physical problems with the disk, rather than the controller. It's pretty rare to see multiple disks start to have problems at the same time, though. I don't suppose you have recently had a power outage, or surge? Lightning storm? Wind storm?

What can you do about it? If you have a hardware failure, such as a controller issue, then you get HP to honor their warranty. What I would do first is call their technical support.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:21 PM