What happens when my 120 days are up?? RRS feed

• Question

• Happy New Year All,

I have put together a WHS and installed the 120 day eval copy of the software I got from Microsoft.  Everything is working just fine, my quesiton is, whats gonna happen when my 120 days are up?  If I buy the software, which at this point is a no brainer, will it be pretty simple to "install / activate / switch" to it.

Thanks,

Zeosstud

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:54 PM

Answers

• Tom,

That's correct. If you have the evaluation version, you will need to purchase the OEM version and then, when you insert the 'new' DVD, select the 'Re-Installation' option which will install your OEM version over the top of the evaluation version. Your backups and shared folder information will be retained, while you will need to re-add your Users and Add-Ins.

HTH,

Colin

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:53 PM

All replies

• You will need to reinstall the software and activate it with the OEM licence key. You will also need to re-add any add-ins or additional software, plus you will need to recreate and users and re-permission the shared folders, but the data should still be there.

My advice if you have already decided to do it is to do it sooner rather than later when you have more "changes" to make.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:34 PM
  • And don't delay registering your eval copy or it will only last 30 days!

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, was hoping it was going to be alittle more gracefull than that, but its certainly not anything I cant handle.  Currently not a big add in guy or anything to fancy, shouldnt be to difficult I guess.

Rodney

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:47 PM
  • My pleasure - unfortunately theres no nice "click here to upgrade to full version" button.

Server reinstallation is very simple - depending on how much data you have stored it might take a little while though.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

I have the same question, just to make sure I understand, I need to go and buy an OEM copy and install it, there is no mechanism to 'buy' this eval copy and license it?

Thanks, Tom

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Tom,

That's correct. If you have the evaluation version, you will need to purchase the OEM version and then, when you insert the 'new' DVD, select the 'Re-Installation' option which will install your OEM version over the top of the evaluation version. Your backups and shared folder information will be retained, while you will need to re-add your Users and Add-Ins.

HTH,

Colin

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Thanks Colin, nothing like a direct and concise answer

Good day, Tom

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:12 PM