Problems accessing mapped network drive from inside VMWare XP Prof machine RRS feed

• Question

•  

This weekend I installed Vista (this will be the host of all my VMWare machines), OneCare and VMWare on my new PC. Now because in the past I had problems with using VMWare Shared Folders with some programs I had made a Shared Folder on my Vista host machine. Inside my VMWare I am trying to map this folder but it is blocked by OneCare's firewall. If I switch the firewall off or use Vista built-in firewall I have no problems in mapping the folder.

I checked/changed the following settings:

- Unchecked checkbox 'block all network locations when connected to a public location' (I do not know if this is the english text because I translated it from my Dutch installation).

- For the advanced firewall settings I enabled both file sharing options (share for local en subnetwork and internet)

Thanks for any help

Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:58 AM

Answers

• You may want to check with support, 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

However, I think that the problem may stem from the fact that the VMWare network connection is seen as a second adapter on the host PC and that is causing the firewall to drop into Public mode, restricting File and Printer Sharing.

Can you access the Shared folder from another physical machine on the network with the OneCare firewall on?

In the firewall settings, advanced, do you see multiple activate network connections listed with one shown as "unknown" or Public instead of Home or Work?

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:19 PM