System hardware upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• My homeserver is sitting an old parts from years ago and is finally dieing, getting odd errors, does not reboot the first time and such not.  So I ordered and received a new computer without OS to replace the old one.

I was really hoping that Vail would drop before I did this so I would not have to do it twice but I think I have run out of time so... I assume in the next month or two or three, this year?, Vail will drop and I will have to flatten the system then.

My first idea is just remove drives from old system, insert in new system, power up, and hope for the best.  Worried about drivers and whatnot.

Second idea is to install WHS on the new system and attempt to restore from backup.  I would then have to reconfigure everything, install a zillion updates, and lose the backups(??).  Not sure if there are any other gotchas, basically I do the backup from the control panel to the a USB so install and restore from the same?

So is there a better choice three or anyone have pointer so make this smother? 

Thanks

John J. Hughes II
    www.functioninternational.com
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:10 PM

Answers

• You can go that route. If you decide to do so, see this FAQ for information about what you can lose when you replace a drive, and this one that reviews the server recovery process (sketchily).

But your option 2 preserves all of your data exactly where it is, with no further risks and no potential problems with drives that are potentially corrupted or damaged by flaky hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jjhii Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:06 PM

All replies

• Microsoft has said elsewhere that Vail should release in the first half of 2011. That's as much as 6 months out, of course.

As for upgrading, it's possible to move drives as you propose only if hardware is a close match (the system has to be able to boot with all the old drivers in place, which means that chipsets and CPU have to be compatible, storage drivers can't do anything unfortunate, etc.). Otherwise, blue screens, fixing driver issues, and possible long-term instability iare in your future.

I'd say your second idea is the better.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for the response Ken,

Should I also assume there is not way to just create a new OS drive and use the existing data drives?

Regards,

John J. Hughes II
    www.functioninternational.com
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:48 PM
  • You can go that route. If you decide to do so, see this FAQ for information about what you can lose when you replace a drive, and this one that reviews the server recovery process (sketchily).

But your option 2 preserves all of your data exactly where it is, with no further risks and no potential problems with drives that are potentially corrupted or damaged by flaky hardware.

• Marked as answer by jjhii Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:06 PM