Building a network for CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Our organisation consists of 2 companies, and I have been told to design an infrastructure so that both companies, and any future companies, can all use the 1 crm system. This means I need to get both companies off SBS and onto Server 2003. I was looking at the following setup:

Company hosting the CRM:

Windows Server 2003 Standard
    Exchange 2003/2007 Standard
    Sql Server 2005 Standard
    MS CRM 3 Professional

Other company not hosting the CRM, but needing access to the one above:

Windows Server 2003 Standard
    Exchange 2003/2007 Standard

Would this suffice? We need to be able to have CRM to allow users using different email domains and different Exchange servers to all be able to use the one CRM. Any suggestions or criticisms are much welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:32 AM

Answers

• CRM will be fine with accounts from 2 different domains, providing the trusts exist. However, you have to decide how one user can email via 2 aliases. One option is for that user to have 2 separate AD accounts, and to choose which one to log on to CRM with; however this will require a separate CRM license for each account.

Alternatively, both CRM and Outlook have the facility to send email on behalf of another user

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:38 PM

All replies

• The fundamental requirement is that all user accounts can be authenticated at the CRM and SQL Server. You can do this in any of the following ways:

1. All accounts in one AD domain
    2. Separate AD domains in one AD forest
    3. Separate AD domains in separate AD forests, with explicit two-way trusts between the domains

Options 1 and 2 need no special configuration; option 3 needs the explicit trusts, but that's an AD design issue.

The other consideration is versions of Exchange. The CRM Email router can only be installed on Exchange 2003, not Exchange 2007, so you need at least one Exchange 2003 server if you want automatic email tracking. Theoretically, one instance of the CRM Email router should be sufficient, though it might be better to have one instance per company (otherwise forwarding rules would forward emails from users in one company to a mailbox in another domain, which people may not be comfortable with).

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:02 AM
  • Thanks David,

Option 2 seems to be what I'm getting at. We have a legal software development company, and a legal costs negotiation company. They are required to be on separate domains, so at the moment they are on 2 seperate SBS domains. The domains must always be separate, but we want the one CRM system for both companies.

Lets say 1 domain called abc.com and the other 123.com. We generally share employees between the companies, including marketing. Chris Jones, a marketer, wants to be able to avertise clients for ABC using his cjones@abc.com email through CRM, and likewise using cjones@123.com for clients of 123. This  will require a cjone account on each domain obviously, but will CRM allow for the accounts from 2 different domains to input data onto it, and also track any mail from either Exchange account, regardless of what domain it is on?
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:51 AM
  • CRM will be fine with accounts from 2 different domains, providing the trusts exist. However, you have to decide how one user can email via 2 aliases. One option is for that user to have 2 separate AD accounts, and to choose which one to log on to CRM with; however this will require a separate CRM license for each account.

Alternatively, both CRM and Outlook have the facility to send email on behalf of another user

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:38 PM
  • thats fine, all I needed to know. Cheers!
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:50 PM
  • one more thing I've thought about. With SQL and CRM, are the licenses based on concurrent connections? Because then if 'cjones' had an account in each domain, in reality he would only be using 1 account in CRM at a time, hence we could cover him by 1 SQL and 1 CRM CAL
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:57 PM
  • CRM licensing is not concurrent connections; you will need one licence for account. I'm not certain about SQL lcensing, though one option is to use per processor licensing

Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:34 PM