none
64 bit WHS Server Recovery RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had to do a server recovery because of corrupted boot tracks on my MediaSmart Home Server. HP tech rep tried to help me through doing a reinstall, but we could not get it to connect. So I was given a few steps and told I would have to do a reset and that before I did that I should try to attach my drives to another computer and try to recover all the data I could. Then do a low level format of the drive.

I thought about it and my good drive was a 1TB drive and the drive that had gone bad was a 500GB drive so I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the drive. I have all folders configured for duplication so knew all of my data was on the good drive. When I got my new drive, I popped it in and was able to connect to it and was able to connect Reinstall from the server recovery menu. When it was done, to my joy, all of the data was on the server. All I had to do was reinstall all of my add-ins that were also already on the server ready to be installed.

The one down side is I had upgraded all of my clients in the house to Windows 7 Beta except on laptop my wife uses (she doesn't like to change). What I found out is that the server recovery disk does not work with 64-bit Windows. That wasn't surprising since when I got my MediaSmart Server, it didn't support 64-bit clients. As I talked with the HP rep, he indicated the disk images could not be downloaded and that it would be unlikely that they would ever produce a 64-bit version of the server recovery disk. I told him that within a year, I will probably be buying my wife a new laptop with Windows 7 and that once that happens, I won't have a single 32 bit client available and that I did not feel that would be too uncommon a situation. If you agree with this, you might want to let HP or Microsoft know that this will be viewed as a problem.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:13 AM

All replies

• I had to do a server recovery because of corrupted boot tracks on my MediaSmart Home Server. HP tech rep tried to help me through doing a reinstall, but we could not get it to connect. So I was given a few steps and told I would have to do a reset and that before I did that I should try to attach my drives to another computer and try to recover all the data I could. Then do a low level format of the drive.

I thought about it and my good drive was a 1TB drive and the drive that had gone bad was a 500GB drive so I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the drive. I have all folders configured for duplication so knew all of my data was on the good drive. When I got my new drive, I popped it in and was able to connect to it and was able to connect Reinstall from the server recovery menu. When it was done, to my joy, all of the data was on the server. All I had to do was reinstall all of my add-ins that were also already on the server ready to be installed.

The one down side is I had upgraded all of my clients in the house to Windows 7 Beta except on laptop my wife uses (she doesn't like to change). What I found out is that the server recovery disk does not work with 64-bit Windows. That wasn't surprising since when I got my MediaSmart Server, it didn't support 64-bit clients. As I talked with the HP rep, he indicated the disk images could not be downloaded and that it would be unlikely that they would ever produce a 64-bit version of the server recovery disk. I told him that within a year, I will probably be buying my wife a new laptop with Windows 7 and that once that happens, I won't have a single 32 bit client available and that I did not feel that would be too uncommon a situation. If you agree with this, you might want to let HP or Microsoft know that this will be viewed as a problem.

You should post your suggestion on Connect, then post a link to it here so other users can vote on it.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Just one point of information: Microsoft isn't actually involved in the creation of the server recovery disk. They supply some guidance (in the form of the OEM Preinstallation Kit) to OEMs for how everything should fit together, but the OEMs have to develop the recovery tools themselves.

As for the HP Server Recovery Disk not working on Windows x64, I'm a bit surprised by that. It certainly boots successfully, and I can't think of any reason why the (very simple) software that's actually running wouldn't work perfectly on x64. I'm not in a position to test right now, so I didn't go past the point where it starts searching for my server, but I'll ask around.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:34 AM
  • At a pinch, you could run MS Virtual Server and run 32 bit Windows inside a VM.
    qts
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Windows 7 in Windows XP mode worked for me.  After doing a Recovery I couldn't install the WHS client on any PCs - except Windows XP mode in Win7.  Once I got the client installed there and got the WHS upgraded to the latest Power Pack (e.g. PP1, PP2, PP3) I could install the 64 bit client.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 4:59 AM