Microsoft Money & Edge Chromium IE11 Mode? RRS feed

• Question

• MS Money relies on Internet Explorer (IE) being installed to run.

The new Edge Chromium browser has an Internet Explorer Mode. Has anyone uninstalled IE and enabled the IE mode in Edge Chromium to see if MS Money functions?

If that works then the feature may future proof MS Money a while longer in case Microsoft stops supporting IE.

• Edited by SC489 Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:09 AM

All replies

• Money uses the IE rendering engine. Edge Chromium is the Chromium rendering engine with an interface to legacy IE features.

When Microsoft removes IE from Windows, Money will no longer run. There is no statement about when this might happen.

If you want to test the effect of IE removal, disable Internet Explorer 11 in Windows Features.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:13 AM
  • I understand the IE dependence but I was hoping Money might work in the IE mode in Edge Chromium. My fallback is to use a Windows XP virtual machine should IE ever be removed.

• Edited by SC489 Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:18 AM
  • Hi SC489,

I am interested in your Edge query but also for a different issue with Norton Password Manager and a Local Vault. However to stay om topic I installed Edge Chromium but failed to initiate IE Mode as I am confused as to how - the web offered through Group Policy or Flags and I am in over my head.  I have seen a site say that Microsoft will never remove IE from Win 10 but my fallback is my son's old Windows 7 laptop solely for MS Money. I am also confused over your Windows XP virtual machine solution can you elaborate please.

I would greatly appreciate if a techie out there would try the IE Mode and publish instructions if Money works on it.

Monday, February 3, 2020 4:24 PM
  • This response to Paul862 is not regarding Microsoft Money: Paul, from what I first read, IE mode is for Enterprise version of Windows 10. https://windowsreport.com/internet-explorer-removed-edge/  Paul, you are unlikely to have Enterprise, and more likely have Home or Premium Windows 10. 

A later article https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/web-browsers/microsoft-edge/225832/youll-be-able-to-run-new-edge-and-edge-legacy-side-by-side says "A Microsoft support document explains how you’ll be able to run the old Edge and the new Edge together if you want. The bad news? It requires it requires Group Policy, which leaves out Windows 10 Home users. (There are Registry-based workarounds, of course, so I’m sure we’ll find out what that is before the new Edge launches.)"

So guess they backed away from that Enterprise-only thing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode It looks like the thing would not be restricted to Enterprise and Premium. So is that an omission, or can it work with Home? I don't know.

Do you not have the ability to launch IE?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" would be a direct way, and if you lost the shortcut, you could make an icon that pointed there. I suspect that you will find it by starting to type Internet Explorer into the search box after clicking  the start button replacement.

That would be for a 64 bit install.

Nobody has said that installing Edge Chromium stops Money from working.

Monday, February 3, 2020 7:24 PM
  • I've installed Edge Chromium and Money is still working fine. Of course, I have not uninstalled IE 11. Money uses the Trident control from IE. As long as the Trident control is installed in Windows and is registered, Money should continue to work. Some IE registry key may also be required so that Money thinks that IE is installed.

We won't know until / unless IE is completely deprecated and gone.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 7:30 PM
  • You can use the Hyper-V tool supplied with Windows 10 or other tools. See here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/id-Virtualization/

• Edited by SC489 Monday, February 24, 2020 4:28 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2020 4:28 PM