Uninstal Windows One Care RRS feed

• Question

• My computer has only one virus on it ...that is ...windows live onecare

more like windows live dont care

i have uninstalled it 10 times now and everytime i reboot it is back again...microsoft i know u want people to force your halfbaked bloatware but this a bit low...even for you

in all my experience i have never used a program that nags the user so much as windows live onecare.....its behaviour is well within the realms of of a virus.

I want to get rid of it forever...remove all traces that it ever existed...like how all other programs uninstal

how do i get rid of this *** from my computer...even worse i didn't even instal windows live onecare...it just popped up...that taught me to turn off automatic updates....

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• One Care does not install itself, is not distributed through Windows Update nor does it reinstall itself after uninstallation. One Care can only be installed via purchase or by choosing to download the 90 day trial from the One Care website. If One Care is installed on a computer it can be removed by using the add/remove programs feature of Windows. If you require further assistance uninstalling One Care please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:05 PM
  • If One Care is installed on a computer it can be removed by using the add/remove programs feature of Windows.

have u googled 'uninstal onecare'...you have got to be kidding me...(i'd like to know the success rat eof that procedure)

after running services.msc ...it is still there...also the registry entries ar ALL still there...if i stop it...it blocks my internet acesss( i got to give this thing credit it knows how to defend itself) Even tried manual deletion of files.."Accesss Denied" surprise surprise....vistalicious!

well i dont see how that improves the situation....since when did people need technical help to uninstal a program...especially one that was marketed as being able to make computing safer....more secure...hustle free?

instead of leading people through a merry-go-round...how about something that just works...or another program to just remove the onecare 'virus'

anyway forget it...i will boot to xp from now....because vista is clearly a flashy dressed chef who cant cook
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 5:35 PM
  • If you actually have One Care installed you can uninstall it by using this tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

If you are trying to uninstall Windows Defender from Vista, it can't be done as it is built into the operating system.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 5:45 PM
  • that too...doesnt work

onecare was alive and thriving with a vengeance when i rebooted...even after an apparent uninstal...oncecare is still present in services.msc and all the files related to it are still present the hidden one in common files and the obvious ones in the progrtam files not to menstion the registry keys ...and they cant be deleted...wont be deleted...if i do that process cripples my pc and i suddenly dont have internet access
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Since something is seriously wrong with your PC and OneCare on it, please contact OneCare support for help with removal. Note that what you are experiencing is not normal. OneCare should remove from Control Panel/Programs without incident. In some difficult cases, the cleanup tool can be used to remove almost all remnants from the PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:38 AM
  • I tried under add/remove and it did not work. Infact mWindows Live OneCare was not even listed under the add/remove.

However, it remaims on my hard drive and when I try to delete it states I do not have access.  Therefore, I logged in under my administrator privileges and tried again The result was the same "access denied."

Since my  Windows Live OneCare has expired I would like to delete it.  Really, how can  I totally delete it  from my hard drive.

Please advise

Thanks

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Friday, May 30, 2008 10:06 PM