WHS 2011 Backups Unsuccessful RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS 2011 for a while now with no problems. I recently added a 2TB disc to my system, to store my movies and television files (E:). The system C: and D: drives are on a 1TB disk which I back up to a 1TB external drive with no problems. When I try to back up the new 2TB drive (to an identical 2TB drive in an external USB case) I it is unsuccessful after about 28%. The error code is 2417942405. The alert says "the system cannot find the file specified". I have run a check and repair on both disks; through the WHS dashboard, then from the command prompt (chkdsk/r). No errors reported. I have disabled the backup schedule in case that was causing a conflict. Can anyone help please?

Saturday, October 6, 2012 3:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed that you would like to backup the new 2TB drive. Towards the WHS backup, it has a limit here. Serve Backup uses the .VHD file format to store the backup data. It has a 2TB limit for its maximum size. So please make sure the totoal size of your backup data is less then 2TB.

If you would like to the backup the data over 2TB, please follow the link below to deal with OVER 2TB backup:

Title: FAQ for Windows Home and SBS Backup

URL: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4427.faq-for-windows-home-and-sbs-backup.aspx

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Hi James, I'm aware of the .VHD limit and I'm only trying to back up the 2TB drive in the server with the 2TB external drive. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Monday, October 8, 2012 7:51 PM
  • You have re setup the server backup to only include folders required on the 2TB disk? Through the dashboard it is only possible to setup a single backup schedule or setup to one backup disk.

Could you still be using the same schedule that works with the 1TB disk?

Another thought, has the 2TB internal been added to the server via the dashboard?

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Hi Frogz1. Sorry for the tardy reply. Yes, the server backup has been set up again, and the 2TB was added via the Dashboard.

Interestingly, I had a successful backup last night and I did nothing different - just left the backup drive hooked up as I had fo rthe last week, and somehow vernight the scheduled backup worked this time. I had done nothing to the server for a couple of days, and the previous nights the backup was unsuccessful

ATM I',m too scared to try a restore to test the backup

I think I'llleave this for a while and try a backup in a week or so

Cheers

Johnny

Saturday, October 13, 2012 11:16 PM