svchost.exe cpu usage RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I know there have been a allot of posts regarding cpu usage issues, thought to be or confirmed to be onecare but mine from what i can tell seems to be a little different. Anyway here is my case.

First a little info on my system.

O/S = WinXP MCE

Onecare 2.0 - just upgraded from version 1.6.

Windows home server connector

Microsoft active sync

Intel proset wireless

I have onecare 2.0 installed and am having issues with one of the many svchost.exe processes constantly using 50% cpu.  Now when msmpeng.exe kicks in it can make for a pretty slow system.

I have tried disableing remote desktop and do not have peer-peer networking service installed, but still have this issue.

Is this a bug? if so it need to be acknowledged officially by microsoft.  Also does having 10 svchost.exe seem correct?

Also i suspended the laptop to bring it in to work today (early shift - 5am - No Fun) and on opening it all is fine?  I have wireless running,  windows home server connector is now discontected but running, and onecare reports all is good.  I do still have 10 svchost.exe processes but at least cpu usage is normal.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:07 AM

Answers

• My advice is to contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

The svchost processes actually support all kinds of things, so 10 is not unheard of. However, the CPU suck problem is a problem that would seem to indicate the presence of some sort of conflict.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:21 PM

All replies

• My advice is to contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

The svchost processes actually support all kinds of things, so 10 is not unheard of. However, the CPU suck problem is a problem that would seem to indicate the presence of some sort of conflict.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:21 PM
  • I will logg a support case tonight.. but would like to add an update.

I used the laptop whilst at work at weekend with no problems all cpu usage normal,  came home signed on to wireless network , still ok all weekend even on wired.  Then tonight fired it up on the wired network and 50% cpu again! straight away.  The only thing different in the above useage is during the weekend the laptop was only ever suspended and not turned off completely.

I Can't pin it down to any application in particular, so am wondering if onecare is the culprit here, But what i do now know turing off remote desktop (suggested fix) is not an option when using windows home server as it prevents the client software from working.

I would be handy to find out what this instance of svchost.exe is linked to.

Cheers for the reply Stephen

Rick

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:42 PM
  • This article should help pin down what's running in the problem instance - http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-identify-what-programs-started-svchostexe-in-windows.html

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:55 AM