Motherboard swap and now WHS will not boot up RRS feed

• Question

• It's been as many times but is moslty on the old home server. My issue deal with the new Windows Home Server 2011. I change the motherboard and now It wouldn't boot up. yes, it post but will not boot into home server, it keep rebooting. I try to reinstall but it doesn't give me any option to format the OS only. It's said that the hard drive will be completely wipe out. I badly need help. I got very importmant documents that don't want to loose.

Monday, January 30, 2012 7:01 AM

All replies

• Usually its one of two config changes, which causes this.

SATA controller mode in Bios. If it was set to IDE in old mainboard, it should be set to this mode also in new mainbord, at least until booting up successfully and alter the msahci driver startup behavior in the registry.

Number of CPU cores. If the old hardware had only a single core CPU and no Hyperthreading and the new has multiple cores, a simple disk transfer may fail. (I'm not fully sure, if this is still the case with the current version of WHS.)

A 3rd reason could be an incompatible driver. Can you boot the server in Safe mode?

Also if you hit F8 during post, you can select to not auto reboot in case of BSOD, which would give you eventually an hint which BSOD happens, and what is causing it.

As long as the critical data is not stored on the first disk, you can attempt a server reinstall.

If you are not sure, where your data is located, you could mount the server disks as secondary drive to a client PC either using internal connector or an SATA/USB connector and copy the data away.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Thanks for the advice. I will try that once I get home from work. By the way the new motherboard is from ECS A880LM-M (V1.0)  and is an AM3 with a X6 cpu

The old motherboard was an am2 with AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5000 cpu.....Anyways it doesn't give me a safe mode option. Only two things Repair or boot normally. But any how I'll try your tips and report back some time between 2am-3am ET USA time. 

• Edited by Yang704 Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:03 AM typo
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:01 AM