More than one Project Manager for a Project / Parallel working on a plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    System:
    Project Server 2007 CU Okt 2010

We have the situation that a Project Manager usually has a Project Manager Assistant who is doing a lot of work for the Manager himself.
    Both users have the permission to open the Project Plan in Microsoft Project Professional 2007.
    We trained the users to clear the cache via menu all the time to avoid the issue that one users accidently works with a cached outdated project plan.

Still we face the issue that even if you clear the cache and open the project, you still see older data. But the first user saved and checked-in the project and the queue jobs have finished. If the first user opens the project again he open the correct one. But the second user still sees old data.

I have to investigate this deeper but I wanted to ask the question to see if this is something others already know about.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Gerald

Friday, November 19, 2010 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Gerald,

essentially you are saying that both users open the project in project pro, but have different values?

I have not experienced this issue, but my gutt feeling tells me that is could have something to do with the cache. Somethimes clearing the cache in project pro is not enought. In order to really clean the cache, try the following.

- within project pro, go to tools> Cache settings and copy the chache location ( a windows path)
    - close project pro and open a windows explorer, copy the cache location path into the windows explorer
    - once windows explorer has navigated to the cache path, delete all subfolders and files ( under \Cache)
    - open project pro again and open the project again and see if this resolves your issue

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:59 PM

All replies

• Is user #2 opening from the Published or Draft databse?  I could see that
    result if they opened from the Published database.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Hi!

The second user also opens from the Working store because he is opening the project in Read/Write Mode.

Thanks for your response!

kind regards,

Gerald

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Hi Gerald,

essentially you are saying that both users open the project in project pro, but have different values?

I have not experienced this issue, but my gutt feeling tells me that is could have something to do with the cache. Somethimes clearing the cache in project pro is not enought. In order to really clean the cache, try the following.

- within project pro, go to tools> Cache settings and copy the chache location ( a windows path)
    - close project pro and open a windows explorer, copy the cache location path into the windows explorer
    - once windows explorer has navigated to the cache path, delete all subfolders and files ( under \Cache)
    - open project pro again and open the project again and see if this resolves your issue

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Hi Marc!

Thanks for the hint! I actually did know about this, but still you are right, I think the users didn't try that and I didn't give this advice so far.

I am going to have a look at this in particular.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:25 AM