Bugged Raid Driver search in install? RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently downloaded the Vail Preview refresh for my intel SR1400 server with a SE2750JR2 motherboard. The system has 2 80 gb drives in a raid0 setup, barely making the 160gb requirement in vail.

My issue is, if I use windows install without having the drives in raid, install sees it fine, but I get an error about needing at least a 160gb drive.

Now if I enable my raid setup, I try to load up the same exact drivers I was using in windows server 2008 R2, and the dialog box asking for a folder simply disappears when I make a selection, no error or message, and the hard drive panel is still empty. I've tried every driver available for my hardware raid, but to no avail. Install is running from an 8gb SD card in a USB card reader in the back of the server. Any help is appreciated.

And before anyone says to simply buy a bigger hard drive, I simply want to test the hardware prior to investing in making this my home storage solution (and hopefully DE will be put back in)

• Edited by servili007 Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:07 AM added
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:04 AM

Answers

• I managed to slipstream the drivers into both the windows pe and setup indexes of boot.wim and the main index of install.wim, and, like magic, it detected my drive.

I think I can definitely say that this is a problem with the driver browsing feature.

Now I just have to edit it to allow my hard drive to pass minimum requirements (148gb)

edit: done, made an unattended install ini with a 48gb system size, all works flawlessly!

• Marked as answer by servili007 Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:54 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:53 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the best answer is going to be to buy a bigger hard drive. Your server is discontinued by Intel, and it doesn't appear that Intel ever had drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 for that server/motherboard, so it shouldn't be a complete surprise that you're having problems.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:00 PM
  • I've run Windows Server 2008 R2 quite well though, and the WHQL Server 2003 x64 drivers that are available loaded up perfectly in the install, that's why this is baffling me since Vail is supposedly built on Server 2008 R2
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I managed to slipstream the drivers into both the windows pe and setup indexes of boot.wim and the main index of install.wim, and, like magic, it detected my drive.

I think I can definitely say that this is a problem with the driver browsing feature.

Now I just have to edit it to allow my hard drive to pass minimum requirements (148gb)

edit: done, made an unattended install ini with a 48gb system size, all works flawlessly!

• Marked as answer by servili007 Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:54 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:53 PM
  • Please submit a bug on Connect. If you were able to get it to work at all, you should have been able to do so without slipstreaming anything.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:02 AM