Rebuilding WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

A pox on Maxtor.

Due to another failed Maxtor POC, I am planning to rebuild WHS. Have a IDE 300GB HDD and IDE DVD to put on a Intel D865GRH board and 2GHz CPU with 2GB SDRAM. The board has two SATA I connectors. Thought I would install WHS with the above configuration. After setup, I would add a Promise SATA30 TX4 PCI card with four SATA II connectors and four Seagate 750GB SATA II HDDs.

Questions.

I have WHS RC. Will I need to get ANOTHER CD key?

Will I be able to add the Promise SATA PCI card w/o problems?

Should I jumper the 750GB SATA II HDDs down to SATA I?

Should I place all 750GB HDDs on the PCI card or split them between the Promise PCI card and the onboard connectors?

After using the Promise SATA PCI card, I will still have two empty PCI slots on the systemboard. I have a D-Link GB switch. The Intel board has an onboard GB NIC, should I add one or two more GB NICs (from D-Link and JAHT) in the empty PCI slots?

With this copy of WHS, will I be able to upgrade (without reformating) to the commercial product?

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:14 AM

Answers

• When you reinstall, you will not be able to obtain a new product key. However, you should be able to use phone activation to reactivate the product.

As for the rest:
    • I haven't installed that specific card, but I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to, as Promise usually has pretty good Windows Server 2003 drivers.
    • You shouldn't jumper the drives down if the Promise card supports SATA II. There's no benefit to doing so.
    • You should split the drives between the PCI card and the motherboard, as the PCI bus will be a bottleneck otherwise. (It will be anyway, but it'll help if some of the drives are on different buses.)
    • You should not install additional NICs. WHS doesn't support multi-homing or bridging, and you won't be able to team NICs from different vendors.
    • You will be able to upgrade to RTM from RC1.
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 2:16 AM

All replies

• When you reinstall, you will not be able to obtain a new product key. However, you should be able to use phone activation to reactivate the product.

As for the rest:
    • I haven't installed that specific card, but I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to, as Promise usually has pretty good Windows Server 2003 drivers.
    • You shouldn't jumper the drives down if the Promise card supports SATA II. There's no benefit to doing so.
    • You should split the drives between the PCI card and the motherboard, as the PCI bus will be a bottleneck otherwise. (It will be anyway, but it'll help if some of the drives are on different buses.)
    • You should not install additional NICs. WHS doesn't support multi-homing or bridging, and you won't be able to team NICs from different vendors.
    • You will be able to upgrade to RTM from RC1.
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  

Thanks again Ken for this and all your good work here on this board. Pretty much the answers I was expecting, it is always nice to be able to bounce ideas off others. Thanks again.
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:04 PM
  • A pox on Microsoft

Well the RTM install went without a hitch. This IS the easiest MS software to install EVER! Set the IDE 300GB HDD as primary and only HDD for install. After completed, (I found one of the onboard SATA ports broken) so I added the 4 SATA HDDs to the Promise card and installed it); manually added the correct drivers (MS Server products have/still NEVER contained the right drivers); and WHS found the old data on some of the HDDs!

My OEM version has finally arrived. Good thing as I'm 3 days from the Activation shutoff. Booting from the WHS OEM DVD I get only a new installation option. No upgrade listed. Damn! Running the OEM DVD from within WHS instructs you to boot from the DVD.

Grrr!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:35 PM
  • You should try creating an "F6 floppy" for your Promise card and supplying drivers at the appropriate points in the setup process. Those points are at the beginning, before you're asked what kind of installation you want to do, and shortly afterward at the start of text mode setup, at the "Press F6" prompt.

If the first phase of WHS Setup doesn't see your additional drives, I think it's possible that it won't give you the option of doing a server reinstallation.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:25 PM