Windows XP Activation Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I bought a netbook wih Windows XP Home on it. After about a year, I installed Ubuntu Linux on said netbook and used it for about two years. Now, I have a new computer with Windows 7 dual-booting with Ubuntu. On Ubuntu, I installed Windows XP on VirtualBox, since the license is not being used for anything. The Activation wizard reports that it is an invalid license key. Why?

Saturday, November 5, 2011 6:27 PM

Answers

• The Windows XP Home OEM license that came preinstalled on the netbook is permanently tied to that netbook and cannot be activated on a different computer/VirtualBox....sorry!
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:14 PM

All replies

• The Windows XP Home OEM license that came preinstalled on the netbook is permanently tied to that netbook and cannot be activated on a different computer/VirtualBox....sorry!
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Not strictly true, Carey.

from section 3 of the SLT's - For Win 7 - not sure if they apply for XPSP3 or not

d. Use with Virtualization Technologies.

Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected by digital rights management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption technology may not be as secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should comply with all domestic and international laws that apply to such protected content

[edit] Seems that this section doesn't appear in the OEM license for XP - I thought they had introduced a new one for SP3, but it seems not.]

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:10 PM