none
How do I back up large WHS shares when the share is larger then my largest back up drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Current hard drive layout.

Pooled storage in WHS:
    -250gb Boot Drive
    -1tb Green
    -1.5tb Green

Back Up
    1tb Green
    250gb
    (I can add more back up storage once needed which will be soon)

So right now I have around 130gb of music,photo's & stuff that I back up to my storage 250gb.

Next my movies folder is approaching 1tb in size and my back up 1tb is soon to be out of space. How do I handle this? I have thought about using smaller 1tb drives in the pooled storage and then using larger back up drives to keep it all in one spot but that still limits me to 2tb drives.  How do I manage to back up my Movie share without manually having to divide up the movies into two locations which will be a pain. Is there a way to continue back ups when the first back up location is full?

My second concern& question is related to the method used to back up files from the share to the back up drive. I thought this back up option would work like SyncToy and only duplicate changes. So if my main collection is 130gb then my 250gb back up drive shouldn't be using more then 130gb. But I have found that my back up 250gb drive starts to fill up with content even though it still is only backing up my 130gb collection. My idea of how it worked was it only copied the new files over. I see the folder structure shows seperate back up dates and if I check the size they each show 130gb or so in size which is not possible since the drive is only 250gb so somehow they are making it kind of work with not backing up existing files. What is odd is my hard drive still starts to run out of space unless I manully use remote desktop and clear out past back ups. I thought this would work like SyncToy and only keep what I have and not use any more space then the 130gb collection I have.  So it doesn't duplicate existing files but then why is it using up more space then 130gb? What am I missing here? I recently had to delete all folders except latest to get my used space back to 130gb.
    • Edited by eno45 Friday, July 24, 2009 4:51 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:34 AM

Answers

• If your largest share won't fit on any drive you currently have you buy a larger drive.

As for how backups work: they keep old versions of backed up files as an archive, so you can return some file to it's state as it was at a previous point in time. Files that haven't changed since the last backup aren't saved all over again, though; only new and changed files are physically copied. Files that haven't changed have "hard links" create which point to the file in a previous backup. You can manually delete a backup if you don't want it any more; files that are pointed to from other backups will be left alone until there are no pointers left, at which time they'll be deleted.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:05 PM

All replies

• If your largest share won't fit on any drive you currently have you buy a larger drive.

As for how backups work: they keep old versions of backed up files as an archive, so you can return some file to it's state as it was at a previous point in time. Files that haven't changed since the last backup aren't saved all over again, though; only new and changed files are physically copied. Files that haven't changed have "hard links" create which point to the file in a previous backup. You can manually delete a backup if you don't want it any more; files that are pointed to from other backups will be left alone until there are no pointers left, at which time they'll be deleted.

Friday, July 24, 2009 3:05 PM
  • So with the ability to span drives together for shares allows for large data shares. But if your share folder is larger then a 2tb drive then how do you go about back up a large collection of files onto two back up drives in WHS without manually splitting the share in half.  During the server back up of my shares it only gives me the 1 hard drive option to back up too. Is there anyway to allow it to back up and once first drive is full it spills over to the 2nd?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:23 PM
  • You can manually split the shares, or you can put together a solution using tools other than the (rather simple) server backup tool in Windows Home Server. I would use robocopy, but there are other tools that also work.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:27 PM