Windows LiveOne Care & iTunes RRS feed

• Question

•  

With the Windows LiveOne Care on iTunes does not access CDDB. 

When the firewall is off CDDB works.

How do I give CDDB permission to pass through the firewall, I can find no documentation to help.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:26 AM

Answers

• I don't have any specific information on how to configure the firewall for iTunes, but it would probably involve adding the iTunes program file(s) to the allow list in OneCare and possibly allowing a port or protocol. If you are unable to get this information from iTunes support or help, contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:11 PM
  • Good clue Steve.

The Symantec web sites mentions that there are levels of firewall settings.  OneCare does not show this until you select iTunes in the Advanced menu, then select the Edit button.  Then there is an option to set it for Intranet or Internet operation.  It was set to Intranet. I set it to Internet.  Then it worked.  Hopefully this will 'hold'

Thanks mate

Martin

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:30 AM

All replies

• I don't have any specific information on how to configure the firewall for iTunes, but it would probably involve adding the iTunes program file(s) to the allow list in OneCare and possibly allowing a port or protocol. If you are unable to get this information from iTunes support or help, contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:11 PM
  • The iTunes program file is listed in the OneCare application list.  iTunes works.  It is just the CDDB database it cannot reach through the firewall.  I can find no information of how to set up the firewall to allow CDDB to work.

When I turn off the firewall, CDDB is accessed.

I have found one thread at Apple - it was no help for me.

The CDDB web site does not help.

Ugh

Martin

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Is the communications to the CDDB site done using a different executable, perhaps? Is these anything listed in the blocked programs list that looks familiar?

I found this reference over at Symantec's web site:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2005092908351036?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2005092908351036&nsf=nip.nsf&view=429934053165308488256d8e0076af48&seg=ag mentions ituneshelper.exe

And, other sites I checked confirmed that CDDB traffic is via port 80, so it would appear to be an application level block and not a port or protocol.

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Good clue Steve.

The Symantec web sites mentions that there are levels of firewall settings.  OneCare does not show this until you select iTunes in the Advanced menu, then select the Edit button.  Then there is an option to set it for Intranet or Internet operation.  It was set to Intranet. I set it to Internet.  Then it worked.  Hopefully this will 'hold'

Thanks mate

Martin

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Great. Thanks for posting your findings.

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 2:36 PM