Money Plus gives error "transaction can't be entered" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Beyond long Money user.  I'm on Win 10 and do all the updates.  However, just lately I've been getting intermittent errors.  One being this transaction can't be entered and the other the error report when entering transactions.  Frustrating and was hoping if there was some fix.  I've been on Win 10 for quite a while with no issues but lately it has ibeen problematic.  My lousy workaround has been having to do a total reboot but this is not always 100% reliable either.

Hoping/Praying for a solution.  I went to Quicken years ago and couldn't stand it.

Thanks,

Bob

• Edited by babyboomer60 Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• Sounds like there is a corruption in your Money.my file.  If you haven't done so already, I would first try File>Repair Money File>Quick File Repair to see if that helps.  If that doesn't resolve the problem you can then do File>Repair Money File>Standard File Repair. 

Be aware that some people have found that the Standard File Repair resets some reports, although I do not find that to be the case with Money Plus Sunset.

If neither works, post back with the exact error message and what kind of transaction you were trying to enter.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Fabio Mondini Sunday, January 5, 2020 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thank you.  I rarely ever use that utility but I will.  I'll post my results. I hope it is that easy!  :)

Regards,

Bob

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:46 PM
  • Standard file repair Level 1 resets reports. Level 2 does not. Neither level is a superset of the other.

babyboomer60, review your backup policy. Consider the possibility of a disk failure or worse. Do keep multiple vintages of backup, in case you back up a corrupted file. Sunset can automate having multiple vintages.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:57 PM
  • You haven't specified which version of Money you are using. The corruption may be with your Bills. If you have Money Plus Sunset, then there is a file repair option called "Remove all Bills data". Before using this, make a note of all of the entries you have under Bills - and list the last existing instance of each of them so you can easily recreate them after the repair. Pay attention to the frequency and next date.

Run the repair, then do the following repairs to finish any lingering issues: quick repair / standard repair level 2 / quick repair. Don't bother with standard repair level 1.

Now find the instances you have written down. Right click the instance and select "make recurring", then finish restoring the bill series.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Hi Bill and to all of you who generously replied.

I have done the "Quick File Repair" and so far I've encountered no issues.  Time will tell.  I will give it another week for a final update.  

Just grateful to all of you again.  So appreciated knowing there is a group of Money MVP's out there.

Regards,

Bob Lyons

Friday, February 1, 2019 12:58 PM
  • Hi Gang,

I did the quick file repair only to have the issue come back in a few days.  I did the more invasive Standard File Repair and I now feel I am very solid.  The only remaining issue is my page which states I have no unread statements, my Amazon account is incorrectly showing  I have three transactions that need to be acknowledged.  There are none however I can't seem to zero this out.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:48 PM
  • Hi Gang,

I did the quick file repair only to have the issue come back in a few days.  I did the more invasive Standard File Repair and I now feel I am very solid.  The only remaining issue is my page which states I have no unread statements, my Amazon account is incorrectly showing  I have three transactions that need to be acknowledged.  There are none however I can't seem to zero this out.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

First you might check that there are no unaccepted transactions by changing the view in the account register temporarily.

If you still show transactions to read in the Account List, you can  right-click TransactionsToRead, and then click
    Delete Statement.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

A zillion years of using this program and never used that feature.  I did try and it did change the view of the issue.  Before I had "Amazon Store Card (3) and now it shifted the unread transactions to now the "To Review" Column   Certainly not the end of the world but any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Bob

<g class="gr_ gr_602 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="602" id="602">Also</g> I have tried to include screenshots to depict my issue but I'm getting an error stating "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

Friday, February 8, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Hi Folks,

I am back in good graces with my Microsoft Money Program.  Truly a big thank you to all who weighed in on this matter.  Even my unread transactions issue has been resolved after a reboot.

Many thanks to all.

Regards,

Bob Lyons

Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:53 PM