Smallest supported disk for adding? RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't been able to find this anywhere, so...

What is the smallest disk that can be used as an additional storage drive?  I know the first disk must be a minimum of 32GB, and from testing in a VM, WHS doesn't even pretend to see a 2GB disk (yeah, yeah, just playing around).

I have two SATA 40GB drives, an IDE 20GB, an IDE 40GB and an IDE 75GB (which I plan on using as the system disk) drive.  Assuming I have the space in my case, would all of these work properly?

-Wes

Friday, February 16, 2007 11:17 AM

Answers

• First hard drive should be 40GB's.

The smallest hard drive you can add in the Drive Extender is 8GB's.

Friday, February 16, 2007 9:38 PM

All replies

• I've currently got WHS up and running on an old old box with a 60 GB and 20 GB drive. Both are working.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 8:05 PM
  • First hard drive should be 40GB's.

The smallest hard drive you can add in the Drive Extender is 8GB's.

Friday, February 16, 2007 9:38 PM
  • My initial WHS install included: 36GB SCSI drive, 9GB IDE, 3GB IDE. All the drives were recognized and there were no configuration issues.

I would not recommend that anyone use drives this small, but it seemed to work. And, yes, I have dropped the "small" drives and replaced them with larger drives.

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:53 PM
  • Is 40 GB really sufficient for the needs of a WHS system disk? I've seen a number of bugs on the public beta that involve out of space problems with systems with large amounts of available space. I know that on my own WHS box with a 120GB system disk that I can get errors relating to "running out of space" when I copy large files or large numbers of files onto the WHS box - especially from a locally attached USB drive. I don't know why this is, but it seems to be related to the free space on the system disk (and I am talking disks not volumes)

So if 40 GB is OK for the system disk, what can we expect OEMs to provide - given that 500GB might put $100 on a system?

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:57 PM
  • The 'sys' volume is now 20GB in the RC.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:14 PM
  • I'm trying to install th RC with a 40gig and 30gig. But setup is saying I need at least 68gig. I didn't have any problems with the beta and CTP using these drives.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:54 AM
  • I'm having the same problems.  Used a 40GB primary disk since beta 2 and worked fine, now setup for RC says that I need at least a 68GB primary disk in order to install.  What gives?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 1:30 AM
  • The RC Version enforces the Hardware Requirements as stated by the WHS. The prior versions did not. Hope this helps.

CPU: 1GHz Pentium 3 or better
    RAM: 512MB minimum
    Hard Drive:1 Hard Drive 80GB internal (IDE, ATA, SATA, or SCSI)
    DVD drive that is bootable
    Monitor for the installation
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 100Mbps Ethernet
    MotherBoard must be ACPI compliant

Friday, June 15, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Agree/CONFIRMED..

I added a 4gb IBM EISA drive. It works fine as a drive but it does not show in the WHS console as available to add drive.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:31 AM