none
Multiple XP Installations RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking into the best ways of offering Windows with the PC's I sell and in doing research found a seller offering XP for basically the same price as I sell without an OS installed. I questioned them (posing as a buyer) and they said their PC's come preloaded with a genuine copy Windows XP, there is no disc and the back-up is provided on a restore partion on the hard drive. They also said they can supply a backup of the original OEM install disk upon request however for the full package it would be £90 additional cost

Now this sounds like they are installing the same copy on multiple PC's or is there something I am missing here?

Any help to explain how I can also offer XP on my PC's without paying full price (Volume Licencing maybe??) would be much appreciated

Cheers

Friday, February 12, 2010 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hello mc612,

The "other guys" sound like they are practicing a form or software piracy called "hard disk loading."  They are likely using Volume Licensing media to install XP Pro using a stolen Volume Licensing Key.  It is a fact of life that for any goods that can be counterfeited, there will be crooks ready and willing to do the counterfeiting.

If you are assembling brand new computers, then in Microsoft parlance you are a "systembuilder."  Please visit www.microsoft.com/oem and sign up for free to become a Microsoft Registered Partner.  Once your are enrolled, you have acess to lots of resources about how to correctly preinstall Windows and other Microsoft product onto your computers offered for resale.

If competing solely on price with "the other guys" you make little if any money on the profit margin of the operating system alone--in fact compared to a seller who is hard disk loading and thus whose cost of goods sold for the OS is $0.00, you will lose money.

Then there's the fact of life that supplies of Genuine Windows XP OEM licenses available to OEM channel partners have all but dried up, since MS directed its distributors to stop providing them at the end of May 2009.  But again, there are no such restrictions on the counterfeiters.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:55 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:48 PM