none
Back Button Doesn't Work as Expected When I Filter in a Forum

Question

• Lately I have noticed that when I apply filters in a forum, then use the back button to get back to the unfiltered view of the forum threads (perhaps to apply a different filter), my forum is no longer selected. I see threads in all forums. This screen shot illustrates:

In this case, I viewed this forum, the Forum Issues forum, and filtered on threads with Proposed Answers. Then I clicked the back button, but instead of returning to the Forum Issues forum, I see threads from all forums. In the image I have right clicked the Back button and the selections seem to indicate that I am indeed in the correct forum. Even the url at the top shows the correct forum. But the first two threads in the image are not in that forum at all. This does not always happen, but often enough to be annoying. So far I do not see a pattern to explain when this happens, and when the Back button actually returns me to the correct forum, without the filter.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:41 PM

Answers

• Richard,

I can repro it.

Even in IE11, with IE9 emulation mode, I've got the same issue.

Got it documented with PSR.

Peter Geelen (Quest for security) (user page)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:04 PM

All replies

• I reported this to fissues just now.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:48 PM
  • I'm going to see if the forum ninjas can repro.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:50 AM
    Owner
  • I can't repro this using my primary browser (Pale Moon). I tried in IE11 as well and I couldn't repro it there either.

I don't generally use the back button when I'm filtering a forum, as I usually will open up that forum in a new tab, filter, and then just close it when I'm done. I'll try using the back button going forward and see if I run into this.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:29 AM
  • I am using IE 9 because the newer versions have too many problems in the TechNet Wiki. So far the problem is consistent in IE 9, but I don't remember seeing it in IE 11 on my Surface. I reported this to the forum engineering team when they told me they could not reproduce the problem.

I need to experiment in FireFox. If the problem only happens in IE 9, then I should live with it. But I need to continue with IE 9. The work around for me is to right click the back button and return to the My forums view, select the same forum again, then apply the new filter. I can do that.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Tested on the FIM forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=ilm2

Using a W10 with IE11.
    Set a filter on proposed answers too...

Then hit the back button, landing on the FIM forum again.

No issue AFAICS...

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:15 AM
  • I tested on Chrome and IE 11  => Didn't reproduce the issue

* not sure what the logic behind the result, since the parameters passed in GET method and not in POST method, they are part of the URL link, and we can see the URL...

We need to fiddler the issue while this happened again - focusing on post method maybe, and cache...

* according to image, we see threads that are not related to the category and not just not related to the forum. It's might be thread from the "home" filter.

Maybe temporary issue with the website lead to it and it was fixed fast?!?

- - - - - - I am trying to think about issue related to the client or client-server relations - - - - - 

We need to monitor the source and make sure that the back button did actually sent a request to the exact same URL.

Theoretically, we might missing some hidden char in the URL, and the forum return the home page by default (as I showed in on of my blog in the Forum Ninjas). IE does not show hidden char in the URL (not like Chrome) since it show the decoding of the URL. For example in chrome we see %20 to represent blank space, but IE show the blank space in display mode (decoded).

for example if we go to:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum =reportabug

We get the page with all the messages, since I have blank space and er actually see the home page.

But this is does not fit the explanation, unless the in the history page Richard had this issue and he show the home page as well.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Hi Richard,

I have similar weird experience. I decided to filter this forum (e.g. Forum's Issues) for Unanswered Threads. Originally it was showing one page of questions. Now it only shows 2 threads (excluding yours - does it mean unanswered only includes threads without proposed answers?). If I try to go inside the very first 'Verify my account' thread showing in that view of 2 threads, I get a message that the item was deleted.

So, may be you're getting something similar, e.g. the filters seem to either look in different places or include deleted threads or other weird problems.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:48 PM
  • The Unanswered filter seems to mean threads with no Answers or Proposed Answers. The issue when I press the Back button is that I do not return to the forum view with no filters. Instead, I go to all threads in all forums. Back should bring me to the view of all threads in the forum, and clicking Back twice should return me to the "My Forums" view.

I tested in FireFox for awhile today and did not experience the problem, so it must just be an issue with IE 9.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Hi Richard,

I have similar weird experience. I decided to filter this forum (e.g. Forum's Issues) for Unanswered Threads. Originally it was showing one page of questions. Now it only shows 2 threads (excluding yours - does it mean unanswered only includes threads without proposed answers?). If I try to go inside the very first 'Verify my account' thread showing in that view of 2 threads, I get a message that the item was deleted.

So, may be you're getting something similar, e.g. the filters seem to either look in difference places or include deleted threads or other weird problems.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

What browser version? Could this be an IE9 bug only?

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:15 PM
    Owner
  • The Unanswered filter seems to mean threads with no Answers or Proposed Answers. The issue when I press the Back button is that I do not return to the forum view with no filters. Instead, I go to all threads in all forums. Back should bring me to the view of all threads in the forum, and clicking Back twice should return me to the "My Forums" view.

I tested in FireFox for awhile today and did not experience the problem, so it must just be an issue with IE 9.

Richard, do you have an email going for this with the team? Maybe mention it seems to be an IE9 bug only? Not sure if they're still supporting IE9. I assume so, but they trail off all browsers after a few versions.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:16 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, yes in my last email to engineering I stated that the problem only seemed to appear in IE 9, not in any newer version of IE or in Chrome or FireFox.

Also, today I see the same thing Naomi reported (using IE 9). Some old or deleted threads show up when you filter on unanswered threads in the Forums Issues forum. I believe I saw even more old threads for about a week (it was about 5 very old threads, some deleted), but I don't see them now, just the two.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Richard,

I can repro it.

Even in IE11, with IE9 emulation mode, I've got the same issue.

Got it documented with PSR.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:04 PM

This is exactly what I understood before :-)
    When I was talking about "home" page i meant all threads in the forum which is like click on home page...

Anyhow, I decided to take another shot in checking this issue.
    As I mentioned I don't find the logic unless this is related to cache or the request from the browser (which we can monitor using fiddler)
    Therefore I tested virtual machine with windows 7, which use IE 8 
    * I thought that windows 7 includes IE 9, but seems it includes IE 8
    This time using IE 8, I got a JS error, which made me think that this issue can be related to JS that does not fit IE 9. I don't really have a clue, I just report my findings. Maybe it can help to monitor the issue..

Can you examine the requests sent to the server with fiddler, once you use the back button?

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:55 AM

• This time using IE 8, I got a JS error, which made me think that this issue can be related to JS that does not fit IE 9. I don't really have a clue, I just report my findings. Maybe it can help to monitor the issue..

IE8 is known to not work with the current forums application.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:23 AM