Dose Sync have to create a file at Isolate Storage when initialize? RRS feed

• Question

• My scenario like this.

First, my application start, call initialize Sync with customerID = 0 (because they not log in) => no return record => Sync can not create a file at Isolate Storage.

After that, customer login, I change filter conditions and notice that have return records, but Sync can not create a file Isolate Storage.

How can I work around with this scenario?

Thank you.

I notice that, At initialize Sync, if Sync can create a file a Isolate Storage everything work fine. But If don't have any file at initialize Sync, Sync can not work any function.

Friday, November 26, 2010 8:03 AM

Answers

• I believe that we both are in the same scenario: add new entry to empty table on client side. As of my understanding (and as it is beeing discussed in the other thread allready) this is currently not possible with the recent CTP release.

Just as you i am thinking about a solution (workarround) but i haven't found a good one yet. One idea is to cary an obsolete entry in all tables so none is ever empty but this would not work for fresh initialized client caches before any sync has happend. Another idea is to manually create cache files in isolated storage but that would need some testing beforehand because there is quite a good chance to mess up things.

Lets see if the people from MSFT come up with a good answer. They are doing their best to understand developers needs and they are trying to put as many  features into final SyncFX as possible. I am pretty sure there will be a solution sooner or later because adding new data on client side is definatly a common scenario.

• Marked as answer by BruceDo Monday, November 29, 2010 1:46 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 9:41 AM

All replies

• As you allready know, with the current CTP bits it is not possible to add new entries to empty tables on a sync client.

Why dont you just stick to the other thread and see what the MSFT guys will answer?

• Proposed as answer by M.Bi Friday, November 26, 2010 9:42 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Hi M.Bi

I know that thread, but I think my scenario is difference. I trying to find solution for my case.

Do you have any suggesstion.

Thank you.

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:15 AM
  • I believe that we both are in the same scenario: add new entry to empty table on client side. As of my understanding (and as it is beeing discussed in the other thread allready) this is currently not possible with the recent CTP release.

Just as you i am thinking about a solution (workarround) but i haven't found a good one yet. One idea is to cary an obsolete entry in all tables so none is ever empty but this would not work for fresh initialized client caches before any sync has happend. Another idea is to manually create cache files in isolated storage but that would need some testing beforehand because there is quite a good chance to mess up things.

Lets see if the people from MSFT come up with a good answer. They are doing their best to understand developers needs and they are trying to put as many  features into final SyncFX as possible. I am pretty sure there will be a solution sooner or later because adding new data on client side is definatly a common scenario.

• Marked as answer by BruceDo Monday, November 29, 2010 1:46 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Yes, I agree with you.

We have to wait another solution.

Thank you.

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Hi guys,

Just to let you know that Siaqodb solved this problem and even more, you can add/delete/modify entities before any Sync occur. In fact you can use the Siaqodb as normal local database and Sync only when your business needs require. In our example project you can add/modify/delete for example a Tag and then later on do Sync.

Download example+runtimes from here .

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Thank for you information.

Do you know, when Sync can fix this problem.

Actually, I expecting a updated from Sync framework.

But, thank you very much.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:52 PM