HP doesn't know what to do with failed server RRS feed

• Question

• Wow I really regret buying the HP EX475 now. It arrived yesterday and worked for a couple of hours then after a reboot I lost the lights to the hard drive and all hardware status information which gives critical warnings, all readings are -1 yet the fans are turning and the server is running fine.

So I call up HP takes me 4 transfers before I actually get to the mediaserver support team. We go over some troubleshooting steps and he tells me the box is bad and needs to be replaced and to send it back to the place i bought it for an exchange. Well I bought it through Newegg and they state the manufactor needs to replace it via warranty. I tell HP this and they tell me they have no way of handling that right now those steps are not in place, they have no replacment parts or any way of sending out a new one.

So now I am stuck waiting on supervisors for both HP and Newegg to figure out what to do with my $740 paper weight. Be warned when you buy the HP they don't have any way of fixing anything should something go wrong there only option is to have you return it to the reseller which places like Newegg and frys don't accept.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:52 PM

Answers

• Update, Newegg is going to replace the server with another one.

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

• Sorry to hear about your problems. It's pretty clear HP doesn't yet have its act together when it comes to tech support or reverse logistics to replace non-working units. For the HP support side, I was fortunate to be able to call someone at HP (US support) and get clear concise answers to my questions from Tech support before I bought.

I beleive you have a bad unit so why not just return it to NewEgg? They have a return policy and must accept your return whether the unit works or doesn't or you just changed your mind. Obviously, in most cases, companies don't want tech support issues to become returns to retailers or resellers because of the cost of these reverse logistics. At one large retailer I know very well, 40% of the printers returned for "non-working" reasons actually have nothing wrong with them.

I would return your unit to NewEgg and then make another decision on what to buy. My 2 day old EX475 works perfectly, so far.

Good luck

Steve
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:16 PM
  • My plan is to return it to Newegg and be done with HP, how they can not have any procedures in place to fix failed units is unreal but after speaking with 4 different reps the last one from Canada I honestly believe they have no plans yet for faild units. How they can sell something before putting support replacement in effect is just plain dumb.

I don't want a product from a company who isn't there to help me when I need them most, what happens a couple of months down the line and something else fails?

Sorry about the rant but I am very frustrated right now.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I think you've got the right plan and i understand the frustration. The problem is HP has been rushing to get the product to market and hasn't got either Tech support or return/replacements logistics fully developed.

After my successful first call to get information, i tried Tech support but had to hang up on the support tech because she had no idea what i was talking about so I came back to the web forums to get the answers i needed.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:55 PM
  • I had the most clueless women on the phone last from HP, she tried to tell me my case number was 8004746836, I told her that was the HP number I just dial she argued with me until I accepted that as my case number so she would transfer me to mediaserver support. Once there they asked for the case number which I gave and it turns out that is the phone number and not my case number .

Also I wasn't able to get straight through to mediaserver support as they were to busy so other support would anwser and take my phone number for a call back from media support when they can get to me. The good news is when they did call back they support guys were really good and understanding and not from India.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:09 PM
  • Update, Newegg is going to replace the server with another one.

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Update 2, new egg is out of stock so I am getting a refund. The good news I am not giving up on WHS I am going to stick with my own build and may go back to HP when they get things in order.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Murchman1 or anyone who is interested.  I work at HP, although in the printer area doing electrical testing.  As an HP employee, I have access to a special complaint/customer form.  It's an elevated support team that handles issues just like this.  Using this special support option, I've gotten someone a free all in one and another person I work with has gotten a free computer. 

As an hp employee, it bothers me about how poor the support can be at times.  But I'll offer this for help if you can't get it through the normal channels.  I'd rather not put my true email on here so I'll post a hotmail account.  j_lattymer@hotmail.com..  Just give me an overview of the issue(s) and what you have done so far to fix it..  I'll respond and try to see what I can do to get it elevated.

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Thanks you I have sent my details to your hotmail account.

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:38 PM